• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjaj

wisconsin
my father recently passed away. he retired in 1996 and he had life insurance from his company after 31 years. I was named sole beneficiary to it. my step-mother and him divorced several years ago after he retired (96). in their divorce decree, it states that she would receive life insurance benefits.
Legally, who gets the benefits?

his company called me and said they are going to give them to me since there is no QDRO filed against the life insurance.

ALawyer

This is really a divorce law question -- BUT if the insurance company is going to pay you, take the money and run. Don't spend it all yet however. And consult a local lawyer who knows divorce law -- the lawyer your dad used may be a good start. (It will cost you a few bucks for advice.)

It seems as if the ex could have a claim against your father's estate for failure to change beneficiaries, unless this is waived or time barred or whatever. Now I don't know your state's divorce law or what else the decree says or how they operate in WI, so I have to assume there will be a claim against the estate. That's what his divorce lawyer should tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">