• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insureance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandy Don

You quit typing and forgot to finish your question. But, you were going to say: "will I get to collect the insurance money?".

The answer is: yes, you will collect it. The money goes to the person who is named as beneficiary and no one else has any rights to it.

adjusterjack

My boyfriend is married but he put his life insurance in my name will I get to
If you mean he listed you as his beneficiary then Dandy Don is correct, you get the death benefit when your boyfriend dies.

But are you sure he actually did that? Did he show you the papers and the acknowledgment from the insurance company or just "tell" that's what he did.

Life insurance companies often require consent of the spouse when an alternate beneficiary is listed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you mean he listed you as his beneficiary then Dandy Don is correct, you get the death benefit when your boyfriend dies.

But are you sure he actually did that? Did he show you the papers and the acknowledgment from the insurance company or just "tell" that's what he did.

Life insurance companies often require consent of the spouse when an alternate beneficiary is listed.
Something in the far reaches of my memory makes me want to say that, in certain states, the spouse would have to assent to a different party being listed as a beneficiary.

latigo

My boyfriend is married but he put his life insurance in my name will I get to
Before you make plans to eliminate boyfriend maybe you'd like to tell us in what state boyfriend and wife reside. It really isn't all that difficult.

Why the state? Because if a community property state (like mine) and the premiums are derived from community property, boyfriend's widowed wife would be entitled to one-half of the proceeds. What rights a widow in a common law state might have I cannot say and I ain't about to look.

But I'm with adjax because I'll wager that you have never seen a designation of beneficiary nor recognize one if you did see one, MUCH LESS have access to the records of the insurer. And that boyfriend is stringing you along with this enticing carrot until he finds a more appealing/younger concubine.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Something in the far reaches of my memory makes me want to say that, in certain states, the spouse would have to assent to a different party being listed as a beneficiary.
That is a Federal requirement with some kinds of retirement plans. But I only know of one state where that was ever true for life insurance and I'm not sure it's still true even there.

All this assumes, of course, that the OP is in the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">