• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life policy from 1914

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fbauerle

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? policy issued in new york. My grandfather died in 1917. A policy issued by Met life was never cashed in by my grandmother who is also deceased. NY state once had this listed on their web page but has since said they do not have it and that Met life should still have the policy on their books. Met life once said they did but could give no further info. I do not believe that term policies where issued back in the ealry 1900's so this must have been a whole life. Met life was not a stock company at the time so dividends must have been paid as well. Additionally my grandfather comes from a family that founded several insurance companies. Coluld met life be stonewalling me? Could this policy be from one of the insurance companies founded by my family and taken over by met life?
I just receently found an article from money.com that said interest is due on policies such as this. Do I need an attorney to help?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

fbauerle said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? policy issued in new york. My grandfather died in 1917. A policy issued by Met life was never cashed in by my grandmother who is also deceased. NY state once had this listed on their web page but has since said they do not have it and that Met life should still have the policy on their books. Met life once said they did but could give no further info. I do not believe that term policies where issued back in the ealry 1900's so this must have been a whole life. Met life was not a stock company at the time so dividends must have been paid as well. Additionally my grandfather comes from a family that founded several insurance companies. Coluld met life be stonewalling me? Could this policy be from one of the insurance companies founded by my family and taken over by met life?
I just receently found an article from money.com that said interest is due on policies such as this.

Do I need an attorney to help?

My response:

No. What you need to do first is scour the internet to find a Legal Discussion site. Then, when you've found one, you need to read through all the rules, terms and conditions. Then, you need to sign up. Then you need to figure out how to use the bulletin board forums to write your situation and question, and then, finally, after all that, ask a dumb question like: "Do I need an attorney to help?"

IAAL

Dandy Don

What are your grandparents' names? I want to check some unclaimed property sites to see if these names show up.

When (what year) did you see their names listed on the New York state unclaimed property website or who told you the names were there?

It is too late to do anything about it now, because if the money has not been claimed by the passing of a certain number of years, it reverts to the state government's budget for them to use. Met Life won't have the information because they were required by state law to turn that money over to the state unclaimed property fund for the state to try to find the heirs. Too bad you didn't see the names in the yearly ad of unclaimed property names that is published in all major state newspapers.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">