• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Likelihood of Security Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scubaj123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have a question about the likelihood of me getting a security clearance. I am applying for my dream job as a civilian with the Navy.

As a student in high school, I did not get the chance to be as independent as most teenagers. I was in prep-school because of a learning disability, and they were very strict. During my first year of college I suddenly experienced all this freedom and I was not sure what to do with it. I am ashamed of my mistakes; however, I choose not to hide them.

For a time period of 1.5 years during college, I smoked marijuana maybe 8 times; the last time being over one year ago. At the time I was smoking it was during a low point in my life, I had broken up with my girlfriend of four years, and I was trying to figure out who I was as a person. I never really enjoyed smoking and never got high. I realized that I am not that type of person, and I have distanced myself from that entire crowd. I have not done it since.

Additionally, during my freshman year and, I sold my prescription Adderall (a form of Ritalin) to 3 friends. I sold it a total of around 4 times, not for money, but because I was young and I thought it was “cool”. While I never got caught, I was immature and stupid. I did not think of the ramifications of my actions, and I regret my actions.

In the past year, I have grown and matured significantly, I have found the person that I want to be, and I have professors and friends that can attest to that. As my parents told me as a child, “Do not do anything stupid, it may not hurt you now, but it will definitely hurt you later.” Many people do not listen to this crucial piece of advice, I did not listen, and I regret that. I do not want to be haunted by my past and the fact that I have choosen to disclose this information, rather than hide it attests to that point.

I know not to lie about this. I would be prepared to appeal my decision and see if I can get a judge to realize I am a changed person. Anyways, I just want to know the likelihood of me obtaining a SECRET clearance so that I can make informed decisions.

Thank you for your help

scubaj123

Yea I figure I have little to no chance, I think my only way to push it is based on the "I was young and stupid" defense. And even then I figure I will probably just be thrown out automatically.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">