• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limitations in Oregon on debt with video contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JosephRL

I had a roommate who I had loaned money to and had an agreement for him to pay me back for money loaned and a door lock. I was worried about him denying the claim once I moved out so the day I did move out I took a video on my phone announcing 215 dollars debt with only the date of video other then amount. I was wondering how long do I have to file a claim against him for this?

Secondly the 215 was a discounted agreed amount based primarily on him paying me on his next check at that time. If I'm able to file suit still would i be able to increase the amount. The 215 comes from 200 dollars loaned for him to pay a friend his security deposit back once he moved out, 15 for a door lock. I had taken off all owed for food cigarettes and beer assuming he would pay asap. The additional money I would like to ask for never was a contract agreed upon until I decided to confront him of his theft around 60 days of living with him I was very angry I had told him several times to stop he did not so I asked him to pay me 200 dollars for the things he had been using without permision he agreed to pay me 200 dollars verbally. I of course dont have this itemized which is why I didnt ask for 400 which is possibly the true amount he took so I settled on 200 for lack of proof of what he stole. Should I just forget about this for lack of proof? It could be confusing to a judge why I'd make a video only stating 215... but I dont know since I have not ever participated in any type of suit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state?

You may get a judgment for the $215 (assuming that you're trying to say that he acknowledged owing the money in the video).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">