• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limited Power of Attorney Sale of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisa2568

What is the name of your state? NC

Hello. My sisters and I are joint owners of a property in NC that we have owned for a little over a year. We no longer want the property and have decided to sell. The three of us live in different states so we have decided to appoint a power of attorney (another family member) to handle the sell of our home.

My question is, how would I word the letter allowing him power of attorney for all paperwork regarding the sale but to keep any money still in our name. In other words, I want him the authority to sign all paperworks needed for the sale but I do NOT want him to be able to sign or deposit the check from the sale. I would rather the money be written to my oldest sister and she can disperse the funds. Is that possible and how would I put it in the letter.

This is what I have so far as what the POA can do:

"Said agent shall have authority and the power to undertake and perform all things necessary to close on the sale of the property commonly known as ---------------------------------------------, with full power and authority for me and in my name to execute any and all documents necessary to effect the sale, conveyance and settlement on said property to any person or persons of his choosing, including deeds, receipts, releases, warranties, affidavits, contracts, addenda, settlement statements, loan commitments and disclosure statements, truth-in-lending statements, all forms of commercial papers, and any such other instrument or instruments in writing of whatever kind, character and nature as may be necessary to complete the sale and the settlement process."

I got that off the internet but don't really know what that means. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Legal forms for every state are available by clicking the LEGAL FORMS link at the top of this page.

Most settlement houses will have their own idea as to what they would like for POA wording. They can provide the form. See the lawyer, escrow agent, title company or whatever is traditional in your area for closings.

flying ron is right, i have a limited power of attorney some firms will use but others won't. most closing attorneys here in nc have a power of attorney agreement that becomes null and void after the sale of the property as well as other statutes that protect the transaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">