• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Little League Rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BaseballMom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Little League Rules apply to the entire U.S.

Little League Baseball implemented a new rule this year which states that a player on a Little League Tournament Team may not play baseball/softball for any other youth organization while the player's all-star team is participating in tournament play. The player is allowed to return to the other youth organization team once the tournament team has been eliminated from the tournament. If the player plays a game for the other youth organization team during the L. L. Tournament, the L. L. Tournment Team must forfeit any game(s) the player plays in. (I hope I'm explaining this correctly)

I'm just wondering if this rule is discriminatory in any way. It seems to me that Little League is discriminating against players who want to play as much baseball/softball as they can on as many teams as they can. The other youth organizations aren't saying that players can't play for Little League.

I'm just curious. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BaseballMom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Little League Rules apply to the entire U.S.

Little League Baseball implemented a new rule this year which states that a player on a Little League Tournament Team may not play baseball/softball for any other youth organization while the player's all-star team is participating in tournament play. The player is allowed to return to the other youth organization team once the tournament team has been eliminated from the tournament. If the player plays a game for the other youth organization team during the L. L. Tournament, the L. L. Tournment Team must forfeit any game(s) the player plays in. (I hope I'm explaining this correctly)

I'm just wondering if this rule is discriminatory in any way. It seems to me that Little League is discriminating against players who want to play as much baseball/softball as they can on as many teams as they can. The other youth organizations aren't saying that players can't play for Little League.

I'm just curious. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

My response:

Perhaps you misunderstood the purpose of this site. This site deals with LAW, and not Little League Rules.

IAAL

CdwJava

This problem is neither a Civil Rights nor a Discrimination issue. If someone has the money or the desire, and wishes to challenge a ruling by a governing board of one of these organizations, they may. But since they are private organizations, they may make up and enforce their own rules.

Little League has a certain set of rules. People can choose to abide by them ... or they can ignore them and risk the consequences. It's a matter of choices.

Two of my sons are in the same position and we choose NOT to have them play another baseball league in the area until after the tournaments.

Carl

B

BaseballMom

To I Am Always Liable:

I wasn't sure if this was a legal issue, that's why I posted. I thought this was supposed to be a helpful site. You could have answered without being sarcastic. But, I guess there's always someone like you on every site.

Thanks anyway...I got my answer from someone who posted a polite reply.

ellencee

BaseballMom
I just wanted to add a couple of comments--
The rule isn't new; it must have been modified in some way. As the mom of a former Little League AllStar player and as a former Little League official, I can explain two aspects of your concerns: first--playing Little League (including AllStars) is a voluntary action; you don't have to allow your child to play in AllStars or in a Little League organization but once you do allow the child to participate, the child participates under the rules of Little League or the child is out of the organization (games). secondly--AllStars requires that the child have only one set of baseball rules to follow and only one coaching technique--the goal is, afterall, to win, win, win!

Have fun and if your child makes it to the World Series, let me know--the hubby and I always watch the World Series!

EC

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BaseballMom said:
To I Am Always Liable:

I wasn't sure if this was a legal issue, that's why I posted. I thought this was supposed to be a helpful site. You could have answered without being sarcastic. But, I guess there's always someone like you on every site.

Thanks anyway...I got my answer from someone who posted a polite reply.

My response:

Unless you can find the rules in a Statute, or in Case Law, or some other legal fiat, then the Rules of Little League have nothing to do with law. I was nice to you, and my response wasn't sarcastic. Ah, but yours to me was very, very NASTY.

And, what "answer" did you receive? Was it a "legal answer"?

Look, I can't help it if some of the contributors to this site don't know the difference between "law" and "baseball rules" - - so, if you received an "answer" it wasn't "legal" and it was more than likely "anecdotal" and worthless.

IAAL

ellencee

IAAL
Well, gee thanks, dear. I thought by pointing out it was voluntary, that my response pointed out the absence of an issue of discrimination, which is a legal issue. The rest was "anecdotal" and if you say so, then my entire response was also "worthless".
EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">