• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Little Me vs Big Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chelseanicole

What is the name of your state? Texas

In the state of Texas a homeowner is required to purchase and keep in effect insurance on their property. I did just that through State Farm and was shocked to find, after only one claim, that I was being interrogated as if I had commited capital murder and not the victim of theft in excess of $15,000. 00. I did most of the investigation work on my own and found a lot of my belongings at an ex-employee's home. The police went with me and I recovered about $40.00 worth of my things (they had gotten rid of the rest prior to the police going with me). When I finally thought I was going to have someone on my side through my insurance company, I was once agian let down. I had insisted that a female be present with the male investigator for State Farm. He took this as a direct attack towards him. In actuality I was so frightend d/t the many threats by the thieves. They had even gone to my 11 yr old daughters room and brandished a gun, the very one they had taken from my home. I would love to let you in on all that has happend, but it would take hours.

I really would just like to know if anyone has ever taken on Big Insurance with favorable outcomes? It was Christmas 2003 and I am still fighting them. I have since moved from the state, but just incase you are wondering I still pay them quarterly for protection of my property even though they clearly don't have MY best intrest at heart. It is just hard to get companies to underwrite new polocies in Texas.

Any information along this subject would be helpful.

Frustrated in Florida

ALawyer

I am having some trouble understanding what the issues are.

Insurance companies are often victims of fraud. And they are by nature suspicious. If a claim is filed (particularly by a new policyholder) their antenna go off. They may suspect collusion.

If the police have been notified the insurance company investigators / adjusters speak to them. If the police say they think the theft was done by a bad guy as an outside job (such as you were one victim among many others in the area) and especially if they caught him, then the investigators are the most helpful people in the world. BUT if the police express skepticism, or you do things in the course of the investigation that seems "unusual" -- and demanding a woman and a man be involved sounds weird -- the insurance company's people draw what to them are obvious conclusions.

The insurance company owes you a duty of good faith on first party claims, and if you are convinced that it is acting in bad faith, discuss it with a lawyer where the property was located, but based on what you've said I doubt there is much of a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">