• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living and working in different states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? GA and FL

Hi. I am soon to move to Florida but will be renewing my work contract with my GA employer, so that I can work for them in GA two days a week. The rest of the week I will be working for myself in Florida. How does this arrangement effect my residency in Florida? Will I meet the bone fide residency requirements? Is it legal for me to be employed in GA when I live in Florida?

Thanks for your help.

Kirsty :confused:


I'm a Northern Girl
Many, many people live in one state and work in another. It creates no legal problems whatsoever.


Senior Member
The only complication would be filing your State taxes. You might have to file in both States. It's not uncommon for adjoining States to have reciprocal agreements that make that unnecessary however. You'll want to talk to a tax advisor about this.


Senior Member
There is not a reciprocal agreement between Florida and Georgia, because Florida does not have a personal income tax.

I'm a little confused about the situation, though. Is the work you will be doing from home as an employee for the business and you will just have to come in to the Georgia office a couple of days per week? Or are you truly going to be "working for yourself" as an independent contractor?


Thanks everyone for your help.

I will truly be working for myself in Florida as a private consultant. In GA I will also be working as a consultant, but as an employee of a GA university. The matter is complicated by the fact that I am not a US citizen. My current visa status runs out at the end of May. I am marrying a US citizen in Florida in March and filing for change of status. I am trying to determine if I can become a Florida resident prior to moving out of GA (mainly so that the address I put on the immigration forms will still be valid a month later). While investigating this matter I read something that said, to be a bone fide resident of a state I would need to be working mainly in that state. Have I got the wrong end of the stick there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential