• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in home owned by parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KT2

What is the name of your state? New York
I am currently living in a home which my parents who have been in Fl. for 20 yrs still own. I would like to know if it would be advantageous for me tax wise, to have them transfer over title to me now or wait until I inherit. The home is owned free and clear.

R

roamer5

It depends upon the value of the house and the total value of your parents estate (including the house).

If they gift it to you now, your cost basis would be what they paid for the house 20 years ago and you could have a capital gains tax when you sell it. Also, they would need to file a Gift Tax Return (form 709) and could be subject to a gift tax.

If you inherit the house, then your cost basis would be the fair market value on the date your parents or remaining parent passes away. Your capital gains on a sale would most likely be a lot less.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">