• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in Indiana Exgf lied about me moving and had me removed from the lease, Can I be evicted without the propper time or court procedures?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brent812

I recently foundout that my ex-girlfriend told my landlord I had moved, having them remove me from the lease. Can I be removed without having to be evicted? More details ahead.

Late last september, my girlfriend broke-up with me. There was no marriage or contractual commitment except for the lease we were in together. Her mother also lives with us.

Last October, I put myself on a waiting list for an apt complex, but they have taken a very long time, so I have explored other options including the landlord we currently rent from. When I called, they recognized my voice and asked where I was living. I mentioned being at the house, and they asked if I had moved back in. I told them I hadn't left. This was the first I had heard that my landlord had been notified that anything had changed.

It is important to note that the lease has a clause continuing the terms after it's experation, so even though it has, it is still valid. It is also good to mention that I have places to go if I really must, but I don't want to burden my family, especially on short notice.

Since I am technically not on the lease, can I be ordered to leave immediately if my ex calls the landlord and asks them to? Can the police be sent to remove me?

This is of course assuming they didn't somehow put me back on the lease after finding out my ex had either assumed I'd be out by a certain time or out right lied to them.

quincy

I recently foundout that my ex-girlfriend told my landlord I had moved, having them remove me from the lease. Can I be removed without having to be evicted? More details ahead.

Late last september, my girlfriend broke-up with me. There was no marriage or contractual commitment except for the lease we were in together. Her mother also lives with us.

Last October, I put myself on a waiting list for an apt complex, but they have taken a very long time, so I have explored other options including the landlord we currently rent from. When I called, they recognized my voice and asked where I was living. I mentioned being at the house, and they asked if I had moved back in. I told them I hadn't left. This was the first I had heard that my landlord had been notified that anything had changed.

It is important to note that the lease has a clause continuing the terms after it's experation, so even though it has, it is still valid. It is also good to mention that I have places to go if I really must, but I don't want to burden my family, especially on short notice.

Since I am technically not on the lease, can I be ordered to leave immediately if my ex calls the landlord and asks them to? Can the police be sent to remove me?

This is of course assuming they didn't somehow put me back on the lease after finding out my ex had either assumed I'd be out by a certain time or out right lied to them.
You are still living with your ex and her mother after breaking up in September? That has to be awkward.

Are you paying rent?

Because you are a tenant, you would need to be evicted for violating the terms of your lease, unless domestic violence was involved.

adjusterjack

What state?

I find it hard to believe that a landlord would take one tenant off a lease on the sayso of another. Either way it's unlikely that the landlord would get involved an a dispute between you and your girlfriend. I wouldn't.

That being the case, your girlfriend would be required by statute to give you proper notice of termination of tenancy, often required to be in writing, before any eviction can occur.

However, these days it's very easy for a woman to get a restraining order that would put you out of the rental instantly so I suggest you don't let the grass grow under your butt. Get yourself out of there ASAP.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks: NEVER live with girlfriends. The arrangements often turn poisonous when the relationship inevitably ends. And with her mother living there. Yikes. You might as well put your foot in a bear trap to see if it works.

zddoodah

Please explain exactly what "remove me from the lease" and "technically not on the lease."

A lease is a piece of paper (or, more likely, several pieces of paper). If your name was printed on a lease and you signed it, how can you be "removed from the lease"?

You have a copy of the lease, right? And your name is on it, right?

You've made your landlord aware that you did not actually move out, right?

quincy

Please explain exactly what "remove me from the lease" and "technically not on the lease."

A lease is a piece of paper (or, more likely, several pieces of paper). If your name was printed on a lease and you signed it, how can you be "removed from the lease"?

You have a copy of the lease, right? And your name is on it, right?

You've made your landlord aware that you did not actually move out, right?
Please reread the original post. Your questions are answered there.

Brent812

You are still living with your ex and her mother after breaking up in September? That has to be awkward.

Are you paying rent?

Because you are a tenant, you would need to be evicted for violating the terms of your lease, unless domestic violence was involved.
We get along, so it isn't as awkward as it could be. Yes, I do pay rent. I can prove transfers from my account to her's each month adding up to half of the monthly expenses.

quincy

We get along, so it isn't as awkward as it could be. Yes, I do pay rent. I can prove transfers from my account to her's each month adding up to half of the monthly expenses.
Thank you for answering my questions.

You would need to be legally evicted then, whether you are on the lease or not. You are a tenant entitled to all rights and protections of a tenant.

When does the current lease expire?

I recommend you widen your search for a new place to live and move out as soon as possible.

adjusterjack

Yes, I do pay rent. I can prove transfers from my account to her's each month adding up to half of the monthly expenses.
That's only an allegation that you pay rent, it's not evidence that the money is rent, only that it is a transfer of money for some unspecified purpose. A rent receipt is evidence that you pay rent.

FarmerJ

This comes down to what you want to happen ( if your original lease term expired and you became a month to month renter then both LL and GF and her mom must treat you as such), A you could treat this as something is up and when you move out re evaluate your relationship with her ( after you have given to the LL proper notice telling the LL you are moving out and when. ) As far as the LLs part in this , I could see where some LLs might just accept what a tenant tells them when tenant tells Ll bf or GF or roommate has moved out. ( especially after a fixed term like a one year lease has expired. BTW you didn't say if the original lease became month to month after first lease expired or if it auto renewed for a whole year at a time ?

quincy

This comes down to what you want to happen ( if your original lease term expired and you became a month to month renter then both LL and GF and her mom must treat you as such), A you could treat this as something is up and when you move out re evaluate your relationship with her ( after you have given to the LL proper notice telling the LL you are moving out and when. ) As far as the LLs part in this , I could see where some LLs might just accept what a tenant tells them when tenant tells Ll bf or GF or roommate has moved out. ( especially after a fixed term like a one year lease has expired. BTW you didn't say if the original lease became month to month after first lease expired or if it auto renewed for a whole year at a time ?
The lease was auto-renewed. Brent says that in his first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">