• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Trust/Probate/quitclaim for sick Grandma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theone2432

What is the name of your state?CA

My wife's Grandma has terminal lung cancer and has about 6-8 months. Her estate consists of about 9 acres with a mobile home located in southern CA. There is a Will that was written about 15-20 years ago. We don't know exactly what the estate will be worth but it may go well over $250,000. The only heirs should be my wife and her sister; their Mom and Grandpa passed away last month. There is no executor assigned to the estate, to the best of our knowledge. I want to make this as easy as possible for my wife and her sister because I think that they have been through enough already.

- How long will probate take (estimate, of course)?
- What might the tax ramifications of this estate be?
- Would it help probate and tax wise to ask Grandma to do a living trust?
- Or would a quitclaim deed be sufficient tax and probate wise?
- Can my wife or her sister volunteer to be executor (we don't want some con man weaseling in)?
- Should she have a living will to help as she becomes sicker, if so where do I get one?

Sincerely,

My Family

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">