• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC Franchise tax question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKilgore

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I filed for an LLC yesterday and was rejected because I apparently owe back franchise taxes on an LLC that was not dissolved in 2013. I don't recall knowing about a dissolution fee or put too much trust in my tax man (who is an officer in the LLC) to take care of properly dissolving the business. Much of the old business mail which had a physical address different from my home address, made it to my home mailbox....but not the yearly franchise tax notices. To make things worse, I never checked the old business email or I would have seen the tax notices as well.....OOPS.

Anyway the sum isn't large, but I wonder if the amount could be reduced or paid out? Thanks for any advice on this matter.

PayrollHRGuy

You will have to contact the Arkansas Secretary of State. You will at least need to go ahead and file the annual reports for all years. I don't even know if they do mail out a notice to pay. I just do it when I do my taxes because it falls in line nicely with the May 1 due date which is a couple of weeks from now.

Arkansas Secretary of State
Executive Office State Capitol, Suite 256
500 Woodlane Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-682-1010

Note: 26-54-105. Franchise tax reports.

d)(1) Every corporation that dissolves shall be required to pay at the time of dissolution the franchise tax for the prior calendar year and pay at the time of dissolution the minimum franchise tax for the year in which dissolved or withdrawn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">