• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC Merger and K-1 Losses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have been getting K1s for Company A and Company B as passive income. Company B has accumulated losses that are being carried forward. However, B was just completely acquired by A and I am no longer getting a K1 from B.

What is the mechanism for taking my prior losses on B and properly applying them to profits on A going forward?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have been getting K1s for Company A and Company B as passive income. Company B has accumulated losses that are being carried forward. However, B was just completely acquired by A and I am no longer getting a K1 from B.

What is the mechanism for taking my prior losses on B and properly applying them to profits on A going forward?
How are each LLC treated for federal income tax purposes, as a partnership or a S-corporation? And how was the acquisition of B done — did A acquire the member interests of B, did the two merge under state law allowing merger of LLCs, or did A just buy all the assets of B?

How are each LLC treated for federal income tax purposes, as a partnership or a S-corporation? And how was the acquisition of B done — did A acquire the member interests of B, did the two merge under state law allowing merger of LLCs, or did A just buy all the assets of B?
A and B were both partnerships for federal income tax purposes with the same members, and A just bought all the assets of B

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">