• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC that is shown to be INACTIVE for 6 years, sign a contract as a landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamamia2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Daughter rented apartment from an LLC that is now showing to be INACTIVE for 6 years (Dissolution date was Apr 24, 2008, a day after it's filing date, interesting). This landlord turned out to be a typical slumlord who demands the rent right on time, but neglects things that need to be repaired. The list of violations and abuses is LONG, but right now rain water is entering her unit through the roof and the guy has only excuses. My daughter has told him she will pay this month's rent when he repairs the roof and the ceiling stays dry during the next rain. This landlord does not seem to be impressed.

Our question is, since the LLC is on the lease as the landlord, and according to my logic that LLC legally does not even exist, can this landlord even sue my daughter for breach of the lease?

Thanks!

FarmerJ

Why has she not just called in building inspections ? and to whom does the county say owns it since its public information ( county property tax desk)

mamamia2

My daughter called 311, more than once. They filed a claim each time... Landlord brings "contractors" which are CLEARLY unprofessional, unlicensed, and unfit for the job. They go up on the roof for an hour, and the next time it's raining my daughter's room gets water...

As to who actually owns the property, I don't know how or where to look it up and would appreciate any directions. Property is in Queens, New York.

Thanks!

FarmerJ

county property tax information , give the address and ask who owns this place and to where the property tax bills are sent. As far as 311 goes Id say i she may be better off going in person to inspections and telling them the repairs they contact the LL about continuously fail and she wants someone who can come out and take a look at it them self.

mamamia2

Thanks, FarmerJ. From what I can see, this LLC exists and paying property tax for the particular building.

I suggested to my daughter to call 311 and ask them to be more forceful with this landlord. We want him to seriously take matters into his hands, get professionals to repair the damn leak. This has been going on since mid February now.

mamamia2

I'd like to search the Queens, NY, court system website, find out whether this landlord has had any lawsuits filed against him, or even more important, BY HIM, against past tenants... I want to assess the situation, how probable this guy will go to court against my daughter who is currently not paying him and wants to just leave... My guess is that this shady guy has SO MUCH to hide, that he'd be happy to get rid of my daughter (especially when he can probably rent the place to another sucker, New York being a "seller's market"), but I still want to take precautions and do the search.

What is the right website to do this search?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">