• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan against 401k, want to repay.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scoobys_nurse

I am nurse who works and lives in Florida. I work for HCA and took out a loan against my 401k because of the horrible economy. I owe 2,000 or so dollars now and am about to get a new job. They said if I leave the company it will automatically default. So my question is this I have money in my 401k right now, could I cash some of it out to pay back the loan I took out?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you are employed by them, you cannot cash out the 401k in any amount. Loans are permitted by law - cash outs are not.

tranquility

Loans from your 401K will be treated as a distribution if not paid back within 5 years (or used for another acceptable purpose). Why take a distribution to stop a...distribution?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">