• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Location Location Location

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aiden

I'm curious if anyone knows this. Is it legal for an insurance company to charge you higher rates based on where you live? Almost 100 yards away in another area code rates are almost %50 what mine are in this town. A friend lives in another town, has a worse driving record, a more expensive car yet pays almost half what I will have to pay.

Info:

$2500/him to $4600/me.
His SDIP is 4 points higher (27/23).
I lease an Oldsmobile Alero he leases a Chevrolette Corvette.
I live in Mattapan, he lives in South Boston.
Both are part of the Greater Boston area.

What gives?

P

PapaSmurf

Insurance companies use statistics for losses within zip codes, and/or boundaries to determine the rates for your area(s). Although you may be inside a zip code, for example, only 100 yds, the history of losses for this insurance company, in this area has forced them to elevate the premiums for you. It's really paying for insurance based on others records, but the insurance companies have losses, too high for your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">