• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lockheedelectra locked her thread because she did not like her answers.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

The law says "if your employer allows them". Clearly your employer does not. I suggest you consider whether escalating this to the unemployment line is worth it.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/wage-salary-issues-96/question-regarding-unpaid-rest-breaks-598018.html

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The law says "if your employer allows them". Clearly your employer does not. I suggest you consider whether escalating this to the unemployment line is worth it.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/wage-salary-issues-96/question-regarding-unpaid-rest-breaks-598018.html
He hasn't worked there in over a year - this came up because a bunch of guys got together and drank some beer together...

swalsh411

I'm gonna side with the OP on this one. The law says allowed breaks under 20 minutes must be paid. OP was talking about allowed breaks under 20 minutes. What possible argument can be made that they do not need to be paid?

The law says "if your employer allows them". Clearly your employer does not.
What makes you think they were not allowed? If they continued, and the employer knew about them (because they were requiring a punch out) then how can you argue they were not allowed?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The OP was right. By Federal law, breaks of under 20 minutes MUST be paid breaks. There is no qualifier regarding whether the breaks are allowed or not. The OP could have been disciplined up to and including termination if he had been taking unauthorized breaks, but under NO circumstances is an unpaid break of under 20 minutes legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">