• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Logging a property- how to protect my trees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wartrace

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

My neighbor is trying to sell 4 acres of land. He plans on having a logger come out and harvest his trees. My property was surveyed years ago but the only things remaining are the metal caps and the map. I have a substantial wood lot that abuts his land.
Is it up to him to survey the line to prevent his logger from taking my trees or is it up to me?
Knowing this guy he will not do it unless forced to. (cheap to the bone) He will estimate and I may have an issue with his "estimation".
Anything I ought to do ahead of time? I've already made an offer for the place if he didn't log it. (rejected)

FarmerJ

maybe you should go out find those caps and pound in pipe every so far then do something to help make the pipe more visible like painting white stripping on the pipes. or use that bright yellow nylon line between post so theres something up to help mark it?As long as you follow the metal markers and keep it all in a straight line it certainly would be a easier way to mark your land out first than having to take legal steps because of damage done to your property because it wasnt marked clearly. Other wise use the links up top to talk with a real estate atty to learn what all would be involved with civil suit after the fact if damage is done to your property.

Ozark_Sophist

If the pins are still in place, drive metal t-posts in place near them (vertical reference). Take pictures of the trees on your property (to identify type, size, relation to property boundary). If you know the money trees (value), measure trunk diameter.

Post your property for no trespassing. In some states, purple paint blazes serve as notice (patch of purple paint). With paint, you can safely mark your trees (prevent damage to your tree). I would mark high (state mandated) and low (in case the tree is cut you can demonstrate the tree was marked as yours).

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

My neighbor is trying to sell 4 acres of land. He plans on having a logger come out and harvest his trees. My property was surveyed years ago but the only things remaining are the metal caps and the map. I have a substantial wood lot that abuts his land.
Is it up to him to survey the line to prevent his logger from taking my trees or is it up to me?
Knowing this guy he will not do it unless forced to. (cheap to the bone) He will estimate and I may have an issue with his "estimation".
Anything I ought to do ahead of time? I've already made an offer for the place if he didn't log it. (rejected)
**A: answer- AK-47

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">