• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long distance relationship, want to get married, getting a green card.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aluethial

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Not from U.S.

I'll keep this short.

I'm currently in a long distance relationship with an US citizen. We want to get married.

How can this happen?

I could go there for the summer, and we can do it then, but i don't know if that would be enough to settle mathers.

I am really out of my depth here, have no idea how these things work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Not from U.S.

I'll keep this short.

I'm currently in a long distance relationship with an US citizen. We want to get married.

How can this happen?

I could go there for the summer, and we can do it then, but i don't know if that would be enough to settle mathers.

I am really out of my depth here, have no idea how these things work.

Why doesn't your loved one come to you to get married?

aluethial

I'm from Bulgaria, google it, you'll quickly find out why, this is not exactly a "good" place to be. I mean, life is easy enough, but, not really a place where you can have a future.

I was thinking of maybe, moving to one of the EU countries, since i can legally live there for as long as i want, basically without having to do anything "legal wise", and then maybe he can come... but i imagine it will be a lot harder for him this way, than it would be for me.

I'll read the attached document.

As for now, can you tell me, if i wanted to go visit him for the summer, what do i need to do (be specific, never even rode an airplane), and how long can i stay?

I've even thought about staying illegally and working some job, since i'm not too "career driven".

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

So, you want to find a way to come here to have a future, not because you love him.

justalayman

I'm from Bulgaria, google it, you'll quickly find out why, this is not exactly a "good" place to be. I mean, life is easy enough, but, not really a place where you can have a future.

I was thinking of maybe, moving to one of the EU countries, since i can legally live there for as long as i want, basically without having to do anything "legal wise", and then maybe he can come... but i imagine it will be a lot harder for him this way, than it would be for me.

As for now, can you tell me, if i wanted to go visit him for the summer, what do i need to do (be specific, never even rode an airplane), and how long can i stay?

I've even thought about staying illegally and working some job, since i'm not too "career driven".
We'll go ahead and forward your IP address to the USCIS so they can keep an eye out for you given your intent to stay illegally once you get here.

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

So, you want to find a way to come here to have a future, not because you love him.
That is maybe a little unfair Zig.

When my ex and I decided to get married we had a lot of discussion as to who would immigrate where...and batted around a lot of pros and cons about where we would live. I won, because I didn't want to leave the US...although I had a job offer in Italy. The point I am making is that any couple dealing with an international situation has to make that kind of decision and then deal with things based on that decision.

You are making the assumption that the OP is only interested in bettering her own future. It could be true, or it might not be true at all. The fact that she is considering moving to another EU country in order to make things better for the both of them is a bit of an indication that the US is not necessarily an ultimate goal...that perhaps their ultimate goal is wherever they can maximize their joint future. There is nothing nefarious about that.

Please realize that living in the US is no longer the be all end all of that it used to be...far from it when we are talking about European immigration.

Proserpina

I've even thought about staying illegally and working some ****ty job, since i'm not too "career driven".
Goodness gracious me.

http://bit.ly/1zI0iyW

Let me Google that or you. :rolleyes: (of note, certain members should be astonished to see those rolly eyes)

Zigner

I said nothing about immigration (or emigration, for that matter.) I simply asked why the other party couldn't travel to Bulgaria for the marriage...

t74

If the US citizen has proposed marriage then the fiance visa allows legal entry for marriage rather than OP applying for visit visa and entering with the intention of marriage which is fraudulent representation of the reason for the visit.

I would hope that anyone planning to marry someone who is not a citizen or current legal permanent resident is totally aware of the obligations that come not only with the marriage in general but with the sponsorship of a foreign national for marriage and entry into the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">