• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Disability through Unum Provident: civil rights, punative damages, Help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Latvi01

I need legal assistance\svice, to get Unum ins co to pay my
LTD benefits, I am 43 year d with 3 children, I was diagnosed with 2 rare diseases, had benefit through employer of 24 yrs, as health care professional. My employer supports my claim, primar y care doctor sent ''''''''''d from any work at this time, another " she is certainly disabled from any work due to abd pain ,severe back pain , unable to eat solid foods, difficulty sleeping etc.ry rare condition, many other important info suggests and clearly indicates they violated my civil rights, lied to me. today received letter " we need additional time to review claim" eventhough they told me 5 days ago "it's on Doctors desk"shouldbe ready any day,if you can proved n in the country that may help me. UNUM knew for months, now I cannot get there. Please help me!

ALawyer

I am sorry about your circumstances, but you are not entitled to immediate action, just prompt action. Your primary doctor's diagonsis is not conclusive and bidnign upon the insurance company (and may not even be correct) and it is indeed likely that the insurance company will want to get other medical opinion, and have you independently diagnosed.

If there is further signiificant delay or stalling then go to the state insurance department and ask for help. And ask your employer to assist you by calling up the insurance company. If you suspect and can prove bad faith, then get a lawyer. Sometimes going to a lawyer now will speed them up, as if they fear suit the insurance company may act faster. BUT sometimes it backfires and drags everything out as they get suspicious as to the validity of the claim....

L

Latvi01

Received denial

From Ma.
I received a letter stating I was denied LTD benefits. A family practice physician reviewed my claim and is "unsure if I have
these diseases." I am so sick I couldn't get to wok if I tried. I don't believe a Board Certified Physician can disagree with 2 others diagnosis without examining patient. I had asked the
Ins company 3 months ago if they wanted me to see one of their doctors. I was told "no that is not necessary." How can this doctor make this decision? Why didn't he contact my doctors if he questioned their medical documents? I believe this may be a medical malpractice case. Iwill hire a lawyer, I am going to fight for the thousands of dollars they owe me. My employer did call
on my behalf. My congressman also called. I don't understand
how they can do this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">