• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for a PA Non Profit's Articles of Dissolution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dan987

What is the name of your state? PA

I would like to find out what a seemingly defunct non profit in PA did with its remaining assets. From some limited research I did online, it appears that the non profit would have needed to file their Articles of Dissolution. I contacted the PA Department of State and they could not find the organization as registered, which means they could find the org's Dissolution papers.

So my question is, what are the next steps I can do to investigate this organization further in an attempt to find our what they did with their final assets?

Thanks!

* This seems to be the most appropriate sub forum for this question. If I am incorrect, please point me to an appropriate forum that might be a better match for this question.

Dan987

If they were never registered in PA there is nothing to dissolve in PA.
Thanks for the reply. They operated entirely within PA. Do non profits need to register with the state? The one in question received grants and conducted fundraising, so that should mean paperwork is on file for startup and dissolution, right? If not, how can I go about tracking the info down?

LdiJ

Thanks for the reply. They operated entirely within PA. Do non profits need to register with the state? The one in question received grants and conducted fundraising, so that should mean paperwork is on file for startup and dissolution, right? If not, how can I go about tracking the info down?
Its highly unlikely that there is going to be any kind of public record that could provide you with the information that you are looking for. What is the back story here? What kind of assets do you think that they had?

Dan987

Its highly unlikely that there is going to be any kind of public record that could provide you with the information that you are looking for. What is the back story here? What kind of assets do you think that they had?
I originally wanted to find out where they donated their remaining cash, if they had any, which they should based on their 990 financials. My research seemed to suggest that non profits will donate their assets when disbanded, but, I can't locate the paperwork that would state where it went. That deadend led me here in an attempt to figure out how to get the information. It seems that non profits are supposed to file Articles of Dissolution, which includes where their remaining assets went. Is that correct?

LdiJ

I originally wanted to find out where they donated their remaining cash, if they had any, which they should based on their 990 financials. My research seemed to suggest that non profits will donate their assets when disbanded, but, I can't locate the paperwork that would state where it went. That deadend led me here in an attempt to figure out how to get the information. It seems that non profits are supposed to file Articles of Dissolution, which includes where their remaining assets went. Is that correct?
Articles of Dissolution do not contain that kind of information in the states I am familiar with. They might in PA. Again, though, I am unclear on what you want to accomplish, or if you are just being nosy, since you appear not to wish to give us any of the back story.

Whoops2u

Send a "Right To Know" law request to the secretary of state. There are many examples on the internet.

Dan987

Articles of Dissolution do not contain that kind of information in the states I am familiar with. They might in PA. Again, though, I am unclear on what you want to accomplish, or if you are just being nosy, since you appear not to wish to give us any of the back story.
You are right. I am being noisy because I suspect mismanagement of funds, which is why they are not around anymore. I want to make sure that any funds remaining are delt with appropriately, but if they have not officially disbanded, then I am not sure how to figure it out.

LdiJ

You are right. I am being noisy because I suspect mismanagement of funds, which is why they are not around anymore. I want to make sure that any funds remaining are delt with appropriately, but if they have not officially disbanded, then I am not sure how to figure it out.
I don't know how you could figure it out even if they have officially disbanded.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why have you chosen this crusade?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">