• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

looking for a way out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmb100

What is the name of your state? Colorado

my sister purchased a home with her boyfriend (both names are on the title) about a year ago and now the relationship is ending. she would like to try and sell the property but is worried that the boyfriend may damage/destroy the property out of spite. i have several questions surrounding this issue that i hope you can shed some light on:

1. what if the boyfriend does not agree to sell the property? (my sister has been making all the mortgage payments on the house up to this point. there is no way that he could make the payments on his own nor would he be able to buy her share out)

2.does she have any recourse against him if he does damage the property

3. how would you recommend handling this situation and who should she talk to?

thank you for all your help in advance

JETX

"what if the boyfriend does not agree to sell the property?"
*** Then she would have to hire an attorney and file a lawsuit requesting the court to 'partition' the property.

"my sister has been making all the mortgage payments on the house up to this point. there is no way that he could make the payments on his own nor would he be able to buy her share out"
*** Then she is a fool for giving him HALF of the house in the first place.

"does she have any recourse against him if he does damage the property"
*** Nope. It is just as equally HIS property.

"how would you recommend handling this situation and who should she talk to?"
*** Lawsuit. Attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">