• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for law reference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jblaze424

What is the name of your state? IL

I know there is a law protecting employees right to discuss work conditions. There have been quite a few cases that have gone to the Supreme Court that basically entailed an employee complaining about a work condition and their employer fired them for that.

I specifically remember one where an employee had posted on Facebook saying that they didn't feel safe leaving work. They were disciplined. They took it to court and won.

What is that law? I can find the one covering talking about salary but can no longer find the one covering a scenario like the one listed above.

quincy

What is the name of your state? IL

I know there is a law protecting employees right to discuss work conditions. There have been quite a few cases that have gone to the Supreme Court that basically entailed an employee complaining about a work condition and their employer fired them for that.

I specifically remember one where an employee had posted on Facebook saying that they didn't feel safe leaving work. They were disciplined. They took it to court and won.

What is that law? I can find the one covering talking about salary but can no longer find the one covering a scenario like the one listed above.
From the National Labor Relations Board: https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/rights-we-protect/your-rights

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The federal National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) protects the right of employees to get together to improve wages and working conditions. Those discussions generally need to place off the clock; the employer has the right to expect that employees who are on the clock and getting paid are doing the work they were hired to do. If an employer interferes with this right or retaliates against employees exercising this right (including retaliation for filing complaints with the NLRA) they are in violation of the Act and the employees may sue for that and make a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), which is the federal agency that enforces the Act. See NLRB publication Basic Guide to the National Labor Relations Act for an explantion of it in plain English. The Act also protects the right of employees to unionize and bargain collectively with their employer.

If there is a hazardous condition at work, the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) enforces the federal laws that enforce worker safety laws. An employer may not retaliate against an employee for reporting a suspected hazardous working condition.

The Illinois Department of Labor enforces state laws regarding Illinois Worker Rights, some of which go beyond what federal law requires.

If you are having a difficult time with your employer interfering with these rights, see an Illinois employment law attorney for advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">