• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for my son adopted 45 yrs ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irene barbara

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Florida. My father made me give up my son 45 yrs ago. Now that my dad is dead, I am free to look for my son. He was born in Hialeah, Hospital, Fla. I met the father of our son at our school reuion. We both would like to find him. The father has an autistic son. Is it possible to have the adoption papers open for health reasons. And,can we do it on our own. I live in Fla. so I am able to go to the Fla courts. If so, what are my steps? He was adopted by a private attny, can't remember his name.
Last edited:


Senior Member
Since a Atty did the adoption you might want to try doing internet based boards that have postings according to birth date and search there , see if the childs placement was done through someone like Catholic charitys or LSS then you could contact them and either have them do the search or take from you current medical history and include a signed waiver releasing your end of the adoption file to be made available if the adoptee wants it. with PVT atty its too hard to say anything about the attys records. SOME where though that adoption is recorded, Have you just for the hell of it gone to the county or state office that has records for where the child was born in and searched all birth certificates for that date and compared looking for differences ? I found my sisters son easily since his birth cert didnt have the same info as others like maternal and paternal parental historys or even the drs name who delivered him on it. Some other so called coding might include A.O. and a date meaning adoption order and date it took place. DO try first to contact the atty who handled it. maybe the atty had a younger family member take over for him/her at retirement and they still have records and can offer you some assistance by contacting the adoptee on your behalf. or recomend who can do so.

irene barbara

Junior Member

Thank you very much. I now have somewhere to search. I hope my search will be as lucky as you finding your sisters child. Many cheers, and blessings to you. Thank you again, Irene

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential