• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Losing 100% owned home to delinquent real estate taxes, to an auction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My husband and I have not been able to pay our real estate taxes the last 3 years causing the assessor to motion to sell our 100%, never any mortgage gotten, owned home in August. My husband is a combat veteran with a 60% disability and I don't work because I care for him. We have two children. Boys. Teens, and are out of options can anyone PLEASE PLEASE help us?? What can we do we can't lose our home.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you thought about taking a loan against the house? Or...maybe selling outright and using the proceeds to move in to more affordable housing?

We have tried getting a tax exemption for the disabled, we have tried by asking for the fees and penalties to at least be waived to lessen the amount. We have asked for a deferrance, and we have begged for a payment plan.

Have you thought about taking a loan against the house? Or...maybe selling outright and using the proceeds to move in to more affordable housing?
Our credit is not good enough to acquire any sort of home equity line of credit, or even a first mortgage on it. And I can not fine ANYWHERE that will do secure small amount personal loan against the home. Do you know where I could get one of those by chance?

How much do you owe?

You could try a GoFundMe campaign.
27460"]
How much do you to keep ?

You could try a GoFundMe campaign.
[/QUOTE]

We owe a total of 1500.00 by August 3rd (the auction) and I have absolutely no clue how all that works, or if one month is enough time to do that I. Even tried calling like, we buy ugly houses....no one is cooperating in any way. :(

PayrollHRGuy

How much can you afford per month for housing?

How old are you?

The only veteran targeted real estate tax abatement I can find in MO is for 100% Disabled former POWs.

How much can you afford per month for housing?

How old are you?

The only veteran targeted real estate tax abatement I can find in MO is for 100% Disabled former POWs.

We could afford approx 200$ a month. I am 36, he is 34. My kiddos are 14 and 16. And yes, any sort of waivers for anyone just doesn't apply to us. Unfortunately. When he returned from Iraq he paid cash for our home with every last bit of money earned in Iraq.

quincy

27460"]
We owe a total of 1500.00 by August 3rd (the auction) and I have absolutely no clue how all that works, or if one month is enough time to do that I. Even tried calling like, we buy ugly houses....no one is cooperating in any way. :(
Explore this:
https://www.gofundme.com/
I have contributed to campaigns before and I know someone who met his medical expense goal within 24 hours.

PayrollHRGuy

Because of the time left you really don't have time to get a loan on the house.

The go fund me route along with some begging on Facebook is probably your best bet.

If you do get it covered you need to figure out how to put aside the $500/year that your tax will cost you from now on.

Gail in Georgia

Can you borrow from friends?

I don't mean to sound harsh but owing $1500 for three years back taxes would imply your taxes on a mortgage free home were less than $500 a year. And houses often do not go up for auction until several years of missed tax payments have gone by. Still; if you can come up with the total funds even one day before the planned auction, you can stave off the sale.

Gail

PayrollHRGuy

I can't work because I am my husband's caretaker jumping through tons of hoops to receive payment from the VA
You have a 16-year-old son in the house. He can hang with dad for a few hours a day for a part-time job. If you find the money this time you are going to be in the same boat again in a few years unless you change something.

Last edited:
Can you borrow from friends?

I don't mean to sound harsh but owing $1500 for three years back taxes would imply your taxes on a mortgage free home were less than $500 a year. And houses often do not go up for auction until several years of missed tax payments have gone by. Still; if you can come up with the total funds even one day before the planned auction, you can stave off the sale.

Gail

The 1500 is only one year. It's thw one years payment to keep us from losing it. That's not the total. Not by far. But I get ya. thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">