• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

losing health plan 6/30/03

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

glm777

What is the name of your state? MA
Help! My employer will no longer participate in Tufts health plan effective 7/1/03. They are offering another plan but I would prefer NOT to enroll in that plan - it is much more expensive, another company and less comprehensive than my current Tufts plan. The problem: my husband's employer offers a good plan (United Health) at reasonable premiums but his HR person says that we will not be eligible to enroll in this plan until open enrollment in December. I thought that since I am losing my current coverage involuntarily ( i am not choosing to cancel my current plan) that we would be eligible to join outside of the enrollment period. If the HR person is correct, then I am being forced into one of 2 situations:
1) no insurance at all from 7/1/03 (my plan ends) to 12/31/03(we can enroll in hubbys plan)
2) pick up the new plan from my employer and carry BOTH plans from 1/1/04 (when I pick up hubbys plan) to 6/30/03 (open enrollment to cancel the plan I picked up so I wouldn't be without insurance)
Can someone clarify this for me? I need to pick up my employers plan by FRIDAY 6/13/03 (we were only made aware of the change on 6/10/03)
Thanks so much!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does your husband pay his portion of the premiums (assuming that he pays any portion of the premiums) pre-tax or post-tax? It may make a difference.

G

glm777

re;losing health care

He currently does not carry any insurance through his employer. If we are able to pick up the insurance, the premiums will be deducted pre-tax. My concern is being able to actual enroll in his plan otside the open enrollment period

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think I know what the problem is, but just to be absolutely certain, is your husband covered as a dependent on your plan?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">