• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Losing Job To License Requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stymie222

What is the name of your state? Iowa
Just about overnight the state of Iowa is going to require all electricians to have a state license. Not a bad idea but all of those electricians that have not passed a written exam [Block Test] will not qualify for what is termed an "A" license. If I dont have the "A" license, I cannot work anywhere in the state except Des Moines. If there is no work in Des Moines I cannot travel within the state to other juristictions to look for work. I will no longer be able to support my family doing the job I have done for the past thirty years. There are hundreds of electricians in my local, and thousands across the state who like me,learned the trade through hard work experience. In my case , no education was ever offered when I started the trade. The written exam is so extensive that even the ones that passed it years ago, would fail now. It would take months or longer to prepare for it and at 61 years of age I wonder if I will ever pass it. I need to know if they can take away my right to earn a decent living at the only trade I know. I will not be able to find another job that pays as well and has the benefits this one has. How can I be qualified enough to do the job one day and not the next? What type of attorney do I need?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just about overnight the state of Iowa is going to require all electricians to have a state license. Not a bad idea but all of those electricians that have not passed a written exam [Block Test] will not qualify for what is termed an "A" license. If I dont have the "A" license, I cannot work anywhere in the state except Des Moines. If there is no work in Des Moines I cannot travel within the state to other juristictions to look for work. I will no longer be able to support my family doing the job I have done for the past thirty years. There are hundreds of electricians in my local, and thousands across the state who like me,learned the trade through hard work experience. In my case , no education was ever offered when I started the trade. The written exam is so extensive that even the ones that passed it years ago, would fail now. It would take months or longer to prepare for it and at 61 years of age I wonder if I will ever pass it. I need to know if they can take away my right to earn a decent living at the only trade I know. I will not be able to find another job that pays as well and has the benefits this one has. How can I be qualified enough to do the job one day and not the next? What type of attorney do I need?
From what I read (based on my 7 seconds), it seems that you can be granted a class B license if you were doing that sort of work prior to 1990...

BoredAtty

You'd have to fight the Constitutionality of the law, and that would be very, very difficult. If the law is rationally related to a legitimate government interest, then the law is Constitutional.

Here, the government interest is probably protecting the general public from crappy electrical work. If so, then requiring electricians to be certified seems to be rationally related to that interest (just as doctors, lawyers and CPAs must be certified).

Having taken a bar exam, I can empathize with the stress of having your career hinge on whether you pass a very difficult test. However, if the test were too difficult, then electricians wouldn't pass it. Assuming that many electricians pass it, it's clearly not too difficult.

nextwife

Many professions require licenses. How long has the lead time been from passing the legislation to when the law takes effect? Did you make any attempts after the law passed to obtain a license prior to the effective date? You say you have thirty years experience - surely taking a licensing exam and getting licensed could have been attempted prior to now. I have carried three different state licenses required for my career. One studies, then takes the exam and gets the license.

Is there some BARRIER to simply having become licensed?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Many professions require licenses. How long has the lead time been from passing the legislation to when the law takes effect? Did you make any attempts after the law passed to obtain a license prior to the effective date? You say you have thirty years experience - surely taking a licensing exam and getting licensed could have been attempted prior to now. I have carried three different state licenses required for my career. One studies, the takes the exam and gets the license.

Is there some BARRIER to simply having become licensed?
**A: I agree. I also agree that this legislation was not something new.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
**A: I agree. I also agree that this legislation was not something new.
The bill was introduced in March, 2004.

I don't fault the State for requiring electricians to demonstrate that they are qualified to perform work in accordance with State standards. If I was an Iowan, I'd be alarmed that it hasn't been a requirement all along.

OP, you claim to already have the knowledge and experience to work as a qualified electrician. If that is the case, you should be able to pass the exam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">