• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss of Health Insurance Coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

S.Furlong

We recently received notification from my husband's employer that they planned to change health insurance providers at the start of next month. A deadline for enrollment was not provided in the package of documentation on this change. Less than one week after receiving this notice we were informed, via a phone message, that an enrollment form for the new provider must be submitted by the next morning. We submitted the form quickly, but failed to identify a primary care physician. We were informed one day later by the employer that the form was not submitted to the insurance provider because it was incomplete and we may, as a result, not have insurance coverage at the first of month. I offered to provide any necessary information to the insurance provider to expedite enrollment, but the employer was extremely unprofessional and inflexible in handling this situation. My question is: do we have any protection under ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, or whatever, that would prohibit the employer from abruptly dropping our medical coverage based on this unfortunate administrative error?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">