• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loss of medical insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimborella

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have given a very informal two week notice, We have not decided on a last day due to a vacation I had planned and one they have coming up. In order to train a new person they need me to stay another few weeks, but when I got back from out of town Saturday night I got a notice from my insurance company that they cancelled my health insurance. Is this legal? The last day of my medical insurance is 3/31, but I am supposed to be working until the middle of April, shouldn't I still legally be covered while I remain an employee?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal. No law says that they have to provide you with health insurance at all. They certainly don't have to continue to cover you until your last day.

Unless your insurance contract specifically states that you MUST be covered every day that you are an employee, you're out of luck.

BTW, if you elect COBRA, it will be retroactive to 4-1.

pattytx

It will be interesting to see if you have insurance deductions made from you paychecks in/for April.

ablessin

prepaid

It depends - doesn't it? - on whether or not insurance is pre-paid or paid "real time".
what I mean is, I once worked for a company that you paid your premium 4 weeks ahead of time - BUT you'd be covered for a month after your last day.

Where I am presently, we pay each pay period - so if I quit tomorrow I'd only be covered through my last paycheck here.

But, your employer is not required to provide insurance, however if you're prepaid, then you should be covered until the last day of the month following your last premium payment

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're right on this one, ablessin; it depends. This is a contractual rather than a legal issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">