• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss of sick time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Minnesota

I am a school teacher. Our contract requires us to work 8 hour days. The school board approved work hours are 8:00 until 4:00. Our contract also says that the day before a non-working day we can leave after the buses leave. The buses usually leave at 3:15.

A few weeks ago I left for a medical appointment at 2:15 on a Friday. Since I would have been able to leave at 3:15 I think I should only have to use one hour of sick time. The district is claiming I used one hour and forty-five minutes of sick time.

Another factor to consider is that the district only had to pay for one hour of subsitute teacher time.

It appears to me that the contract contradicts itself. Who is legally correct in this situation?

Beth3

I doubt anybody here can say. This is not a matter of employment law; it is a matter of contract interpretation. If the contract is vague or silent on this subject, then the matter is entirely up for grabs and your employer can very likely interpret it as they please until the matter is negotiated.

E

ebmc

minnesotakent said:
Minnesota

I am a school teacher. Our contract requires us to work 8 hour days. The school board approved work hours are 8:00 until 4:00. Our contract also says that the day before a non-working day we can leave after the buses leave. The buses usually leave at 3:15.

A few weeks ago I left for a medical appointment at 2:15 on a Friday. Since I would have been able to leave at 3:15 I think I should only have to use one hour of sick time. The district is claiming I used one hour and forty-five minutes of sick time.

Another factor to consider is that the district only had to pay for one hour of subsitute teacher time.

It appears to me that the contract contradicts itself. Who is legally correct in this situation?
I guess it depends on if you get paid until 4 pm even though you are leaving at 3:15. If you get paid for the full 8 hours, then I would think that they can dock you until 4 pm, instead of 3:15.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">