• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss of vehicle in abusive relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Forests

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My friend has been in an abusive relationship for nearly a year where he was screamed at and made to feel guilty and lesser by his girlfriend.
She also withheld sex from him because she said there relationship only existed because she needed to use his other car (everyday).

I've witnessed this abuse and can testify to it.

Eventually she convinced him to sign his car over to her, most likely in an intimidating and threatening manner. They are now no longer together, and she has admitted she used him.

What are his legal options at this point? How can he reattain the ownership of his vehicle?

For people wondering why I am asking this, I'm just a concerned friend.

CdwJava

If she is now the sole registered and/or legal owner of the car, I doubt he has any realistic claim to the vehicle. He was foolish to surrender his car to her.

What is the value of the car? Is it worth consulting an attorney to see if there ARE any options available to him? There MAY be some claims of fraud or some such thing that could be made, but, that would depend on very specific facts that he might have to discuss with an attorney.

Forests

If she is now the sole registered and/or legal owner of the car, I doubt he has any realistic claim to the vehicle. He was foolish to surrender his car to her.

What is the value of the car? Is it worth consulting an attorney to see if there ARE any options available to him?
Well that's the problem with abusive relationships. People make you do things you wouldn't normally do, and feel how you normally wouldn't feel.

And the cars value was $12,000.

Edit: Okay, thanks for your opinion! What kinds of specific facts would be needed?

CdwJava

Well that's the problem with abusive relationships. People make you do things you wouldn't normally do, and feel how you normally wouldn't feel.

And the cars value was $12,000.
The problem is that unless he signed over the car under what might be unlawful threats or coercion in your state, she'll likely claim it was a gift and he'll claim she lied to him. His word against hers. Heck, she might not have to make any argument at all. His stupid decision does not necessarily invalidate his actions. And then there is the matter of time? How much time has passed? Heck, the court might look at this as a matter of him signing over the car as a gift and then getting mad when the relationship ended and wanting to take it back. He won't necessarily look the part of the victim here.

For $12,000 he might consider speaking to an attorney - maybe ask for a free consultation - but, I doubt that it would be worth hiring one.

Forests

The problem is that unless he signed over the car under what might be unlawful threats or coercion in your state, she'll likely claim it was a gift and he'll claim she lied to him. His word against hers. Heck, she might not have to make any argument at all. His stupid decision does not necessarily invalidate his actions. And then there is the matter of time? How much time has passed? Heck, the court might look at this as a matter of him signing over the car as a gift and then getting mad when the relationship ended and wanting to take it back. He won't necessarily look the part of the victim here.

For $12,000 he might consider speaking to an attorney - maybe ask for a free consultation - but, I doubt that it would be worth hiring one.
It's very recent. His claim would be that she emotionally abused him in order for him to give her his car.

I witnessed the abuse myself, so I know that this is the reason. Also, regarding this very topic, she physically assaulted him by biting him.

Edit:

He knows more, and I do think that this is a case where the action of signing over the car was made under unlawful threats/coercion.

Last edited:

Just Blue

It's very recent. His claim would be that she emotionally abused him in order for him to give her his car.

I witnessed the abuse myself, so I know that this is the reason. Also, regarding this very topic, she physically assaulted him by biting him.

Edit:

He knows more, and I do think that this is a case where the action of signing over the car was made under unlawful threats/coercion.
Define "emotionally abused him". Give an example...

Forests

Define "emotionally abused him". Give an example...
Property Damage
Playing the Blame Game
Withholding Affection
Threats

He was late to pick her up and she left the car screaming and crying, she later said "my blood is on your hands" (threat) later when he asked her why it was okay for her to be dependent on his vehicle, she bit his arm (physical abuse). She was upset that he needed to use his car while his other car was in the shop and broke a glass bottle on the ground and threw his book shelf on the group (property damage). Withholding affection is in the op.

Basically screaming and crying at him (playing the blame game) and making him feel guilty and worthless (by saying things such as, "I used you" and "you're only use to me is your car".

These are the only examples I have, she also controlled who he could see.

CdwJava

If he has the money for an attorney (which may cost almost as much as the car), he can certainly try to sue her for the car. I think it's a long shot, but, you never know.

HRZ

He might consider the parting gift as a small price to pay in getting rid of the dominating force in his life ....move on ...and promise to never ever repeat an such relationships

justalayman

Unless the bite was reported to the police, it isn’t likely to be worth much now.

Unless your friend is deemed mentally deficient or defective in some way, I doubt he has any recourse. People simply do not transfer ownership of $12000 vehicles because their girlfriend cried about it

And you really need to get beyond the “she withheld sex”. She is never obligated to engage in sex with him so refusing to have sex with him is not a valid argument on his part.

Also

My blood is on your hands

Is not a threat, at least against the guy. If it was a threat of suicide he could have called the police and report this and let them decide if it was an idle threat or she needed to be hospitalized.

Being a milquetoast is not a valid argument that the transfer of title was not lawful or valid.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Edit:

You'd win more sympathy leading with that in your first post as opposed to calling "withholding sex" abusive. Even married people have the right to not have sex with their partner. No one is required to be a Stepford wife, thank you.

As previously stated, if there is no police report, and medical treatment was not sought, then the bite is likely a non-issue.

I suspect the ex-girlfriend would have a different version of what transpired.

xylene

Withholding and/or weilding access to sexual intimacy as an emotional weapon is pretty standard fare in emotionally abusive relationships and is textbook emotional abuse.

That's not some radical out of left field idea that turns anyone into a stepford wife or permits spousal rape. Please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">