• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss of Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nilaja

What is the name of your state? Florida: The company I work for in Florida has new ownership with corporate headquaters in New Jersey. New ownership has decided to change the business of the Florida division and claim, "to prevent layoffs, they will reduce the pay wages of employees in the old division to the same pay wages of new hires in the new business unit and transfer all employees to that business unit - further because of the possibility of earning incentives and bonuses the old employees should not feel a loss of wages". The pay decrease is significant (especially for those employees with more than 1 year of service) and of course employees will feel it. Is there anything they can do?

Beth3

Look for another job.

Your employer can increase wages and they can reduce them. They just have to give you advance notice and cannot pay you less than minimum wage.

nilaja

Thanks Beth for your response. I had a very bad feeling that the only alternative is too find another job. It's terrible that after spending years on a job an employer can mess with your livelihood this way.

Beth3

Would you rather be laid off? If they don't have the money because business is bad, then they don't have the money. It's a very unfortunate situation but employers don't take this step unless they have to - believe me, it's no fun for your management team either. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">