• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss on home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

petrovick

I sold my primary residence in California in 1998 at a loss (especially given improvements made later). I have not bought another home yet. Can I now claim this as a capital gains loss on my income taxes? And if I can (or can't), how does this affect my one-time capital gains exemption that I'll claim in the future?

L

loku

Home sale at a loss

You cannot deduct a loss on the sale of your personal residence. This sale at a loss will not affect the exemption for sale of you home in any way. By the way, the one-time exemption is no longer the law. Instead, there is an exclusion of up to $250,000 ($500,000 if you are married) of gain on the sale of your residence. Generally, you can qualify for that after living in the home as your principal residence for 2 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">