• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost retirement benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kerry.king

What is the name of your state? Utah

Part of our early retirement benefit package is 3 years of health and accident insurance. I am taking advantage of early retirement and have a job that has the same if not better insurance. I would like to have the district put the insurance premium in a 401k. Are they obligated to do that or do I lose that $30000 ?

Beth3

They aren't obligated to do that under any federal laws that govern qualified retirement and group benefit plans and even if they wanted to, it may not be lawful for them to defer that money into your 401(k) Plan. It depends entirely on how the 401(k) plan is structured and how the plan document is written. Among other things, the "formula" for contributions to the Plan must be the same for everyone and I tend to doubt the Plan is written in a way that would allow for a contribution like this in lieu of taking the extended insurance coverage. Without reading the Plan Doc though, it's impossible to say. You're going to have to ask your employer these questions - only they can answer them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">