• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Ring - Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ringer

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My aunt lost a ring over 12 years ago. It was insured and the diamond was engraved with a number and registered with some organization. The insurance company gave her replacement value and she got another ring. About 5 years ago she found the ring in a sofa while moving. Does she need to report that it was found and turn in the ring? She wants to give me the ring. Could I take it and have it reset, or is this consider "lost/stolen property". The value is about $6,000.00.

Thank you.

J

jennifer_b_h

The appropriate thing to do would be to turn the ring into the insurance company- Since the ring has sentimemtal value and she may prefer to keep it over the replacement the insurance company may take the replacement back. To keep the ring would be insurance fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">