• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lots of RATS in apt, what do I do? My rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slicke

My daughter and her husband have two small children and their apt has becomes infested with rats. Problem discoverd two weeks ago when rat chewed into bottom of their bed. They contacted apt mgr and he sent over professional trapper about four days later. It has now been two weeks since my daughter first contacted apr mgr about problem. No rats have been caught and problem is worse with a rat now eating its way into the bottom of their living room sofa. Every morning they find rat droppings somewhere in their apt.

Daughter has contacted apt mgr again and nothing is getting done. She contacted health dept and they said they couldn't offer legal advice but of course they suggested moving out.

What is the landlords responsibility? For the chewed up bed and sofa? If they have to move into a motel for a few days is the landlord responsible for the cost? Should my daughter tell the apt mgr or go directly to the landlord and let them know that they are moving to a motel for safety? Does she need landlords approval to move to motel temporarily or does she just have to say we're moving due to safety? My daughter wants to know how to handle total situation next so she isn't stuck with all kinds of bills.

Daughter lives in Bellevue, Washington - home of Bill Gates and is not a slum area. My biggest fear is for safety of all, specially my grandchildren.

Urgent advice appreciated.

HomeGuru

Send L a certified letter requesting that the rat problem be immediately resolved. Quote sections from the L/T laws. Go to State Resources on this website and go to Title 59 RCW Landlord and Tenant Chapter 59.18 Residential Landlord-Tenant Act to get the exact language.

Also call your State Dept. of Health Vector Control to conduct an inspection and write a violation notice to L.

What kind of a professional did L hire? Were they the same company as in the movie Mousetrap?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">