• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loud upstairs neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edevine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
The apartment above me has given me nothing but problems. At the moment, it is 3:07 a.m. & they have the music (with loud bass) blasting right above what used to be my girlfriend and I's bedroom. This goes on all the time. Normally until about 2 am but longer tonight. I've called the landlord about the issue before & he called the 'upstairs tenant' telling her to keep it down at night. Her & my girlfriend spoke & she said she'd keep it down. (honestly i dont think she even lives there. her car is never outside at night & i've seen around 6 guys leave at a time.)
Well tonight it is just too much. I called the police. They came and knocked on their door but nobody answered. Police told me there was nothing else they could do. Its a third floor apartment with a 2nd floor door entrance. You can even here the music from outside. I checked. I understand the police just can't break in but its rather disturbing hearing like 5 guys above me yelling & playing extremely loud music. What should I do?
Do I have any rights to do anything? I'm just clueless. If the police department can't do anything about it how can we? We can't really afford to break the lease and find somewhere else to go but there's only so much we can take. Went as far as to switch our bedroom around to where the living room was just so we could sleep. can still here the music in there just not nearly as loud.
I'm clueless though. any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

btw its now 3:15 am. no change in sound. girlfriend gets up for work in like 2 hours. its ridiculous.

edevine

I'm guessing this should go in Neighbors & Boundaries. Didn't see that topic somehow. sorry about that..

BL

Obtain a copy of the Noise Ordnance for your area .

If it states after so many warnings within 24 hrs. ( 3 where I live ) , an arrest can be made .

2nd time is a ticket .

Even if the tenants or who is ever playing loud music will not answer the door , keep calling the police .

You can at least get copies from the PD when the were called to that address and why .

If you show your LL this is a frequent issue , the LL should give them a cease or quit notice .

If they continue , then eviction .

Alex23

BL gave you some good advice. Keep calling the police.

Here's my little bit of advice. This phrase: my girlfriend and I's bedroom

is said like this, "My girlfriend's and my bedrooom".

You can agree that neither "my girlfriend bedroom" nor "I's bedroom" are correct.

edevine

Just an fyi. Talked to the LL yesterday & he said there is nothing he could do & that the situation is between me and the upstairs neighbor. I stated that as a lease signer I should have the right to peace & quiet at night. His response was maybe I should look for another place. Great person.

BL

I'd suggest , if you're not on a term lease , you find another place , but be able to give proper notice and move .

Otherwise , if you're on a lease , you'll have to get your LL to let you out of your lease in writing , signed and dated by both of all lease signers , with a copy to all .

If you're on a lease and the LL will not agree , the only thing you can do is keep calling the police out , get a record ( keep a log of your own ) , and if worse comes to worse , you can consult an attorney about moving under "constructive eviction ".

Then sue your LL for not taking action against the nuisance tenants .

Just to note , as a renter moving does not always solve the problem entirely .

BTDT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">