• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Love your neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori green

What is the name of your state? Florida. I just rented an apartment. i am a single mom with a 16 year old daughter. My landlord is a friend from church and an attorney. Most of his tenants are young and are not responsible, he was concerned that this apt. might not be the right fit for me and my daughter. the apt. is in her school district and close to her friends. the inside is cute. I have signed my lease and paid my rent. the check has been cleared. there is no money issues. I want to clean the outside of the building and clean out a storage room and around the common areas. i have sent letters to the other residents and have not had any replys. i am paying for everything. unfortunately there is a lot of things that my property manager is aware of but doesnt feel the need to fix. i.e. a fountain that is collecting mold and mosquito eggs and trash. it doesnt work either. mold is growing up the sides of the building. there is stuff in front of my door from the last tenant. the carpet in common areas if dirty. broken glass. etc. i have offered to pay for all of these things to be cleaned up. my landlord has decided that i am not a good fit for the apt. i agree but have no where else to go. i cant afford anything else in the area, and my credit report is bad because of divorce and debt. i am putting in new lighting fixtures, closets, painting. i have offered my pressure washer to the maintenance man to clean the outside to get rid of the mold. i have offered to purchase shelving units for all the tenants and redo the storage room so everyone has the right amount of strorage space. i have a steam cleaner and have offered that to the cleaning lady to shampoo the carpets. my landlord is a very wealthy attorney who has to resources to raise the standards of his rental units. there are 8. it is an old historical building built in the 1920s and could be brought back to its original splendor with minimal effort. he doesnt seem to mind that the young people that live there live in such low standards. i think that i with his help could bring pride to the building and i know the neighbors would appreciate it. my question is can he make me move out. i havent even gotten moved in yet. i am having to do a lot of work before i will move my daughter there. i want her to feel proud of her home. i would think that a landlord would like a tenant like me. i have worked at the local hospital for 13 years. i am from the area. i have a good reputation and was his daughters girl scout leader and sunday school teacher. i am not sure why he doesnt want to help me make the place better but i havent done anything wrong. so does he have a legal right to make me move.:confused:

dmiller12

If it's not in violation of the lease then yes, he can ask you to leave because you're too nice or your eyes are too green or your hair is too red.

Personally I think the guy is foolish for asking you to move out if you're doing all the things you say you are. He's probably concerned you'll be asking for reductions in rent.

It doesn't make sense to me that he woud ask you to leave but if you want to stay, if you have few options, then back off the offerings and focus on making your space as nice for your daughter as you can and accept everything else the way it is.

You can love your neighbors and your landlord in other ways.

Hot Topic

I'm assuming that when you rented the apartment, it was after you had looked at the building inside and out. There may be an assumption that you looked at it and said to yourself, "Once I'm in here, I'm going to whip this building into shape. Even with my poor credit, I'm going to pay for this, that and the other thing and make this place one we all should be proud of, dad gummit!"

Trying to run the show doesn't go over well with a lot of people, no matter how good the intentions.

ecmst12

If you have a fixed term lease, he can't make you move before it's over unless you violate a provision of the lease. But I agree that you need to stop trying to fix/change things that are outside of your front door. Even things INSIDE your front door, I wouldn't spend a ton of money on. I understand wanting a nice place to live but this isn't YOUR building, you are not going to get ANYTHING back for the money you put into it. You would do much better to take that money and use it to get out of debt and improve your credit and save for a down payment on a house that you will be able to fix up and take pride in, and actually get some return for your investment too.

applecruncher

Whew. You ever hear of paragraphs?

Whoa, Nellie. Did I miss the part that said you own the building or that someone put you in charge or everybody and everything? You haven't even moved in and you're trying to run the show. You'd best take care of your own credit/money problems. Either you like the "cute" place - AS IS - or you don't. If you want something fixed, etc. there is a procedure. You sound like you're going to be a real nuisance to your landlord and your new neighbors.

i have sent letters to the other residents and have not had any replys.
That should tell you something.

i have worked at the local hospital for 13 years. i am from the area. i have a good reputation and was his daughters girl scout leader and sunday school teacher.
So what? Irrelevant

my landlord has decided that i am not a good fit for the apt
No kidding. In more ways than one. Ya might want to read what your lease says about changing fixtures, closets, etc.

You're a good example of one reason why people should never rent to friends, relatives, co-workers, people they know from church, or friends and relatives of co-workers and people they know from church.

Last edited:

Staci2455

Lorri,

Google "Florida Senate Statutes." On the left will be a link to Statutes and Constitution. Go to "View Statutes" then find Chapter 83, Part II, Residential Tenancies. It may seem like a lot to read, but it's pretty straightforward. You may want to pay particular attention to 83.51 and 83.56 for your current situation.

If you're going to be renting for a while, either at your current place or elsewhere, you should familiarize yourself with these statutes.

I can see both your side and your landlord's side, but I agree that you should do what you can in your apartment and let the rest be ... for now. Make sure your landlord knows of and approves any "upgrades" you make to your apartment.

As for the fountain, if Code Enforcement sees that standing water (mosquito breeding ground), they will warn him, then cite him. It should be drained regularly. Most city ordinances have a section regarding this. On the other hand, maybe your landlord will let you fill it with dirt and plant flowers :rolleyes:

acmb05

it is an old historical building built in the 1920s and could be brought back to its original splendor with minimal effort.
But possibly a huge expense. There are procedures that have to be followed with historical homes especially if it is listed in the Historical register. You have to go to the Historical committee and get permission to do anything on the outside of the building any work done without their permission could result in huge fines. Also it would have to be repaired exactly like it was originally built or as close as possible.
my question is can he make me move out. i am not sure why he doesnt want to help me make the place better but i havent done anything wrong.
Again the cost could be a lot more than you may think.
so does he have a legal right to make me move.:confused:
Not likely if you have a fixed term ( one year) lease.

lori green

love you neighbor

thank you for all of your advice. i will take it to heart. so it would be better to just concentrate on my little place and let the rest go. i will do that . i am just not use to low standards with anything and find it hard to live like that.
i have a vision of this apt. complex stepping out into he community and helping people who ned it. single moms like me. couples just getting started in life. i know the world talks alot about helping those less fortunate. here is a chance for someone to walk the walk and not just invest in something for self gain. it is not always about the money.
the reason why this complex draws on such a low standard tenant is that it is not fixed up enough to attract people that would want to live there with high standards. i see a chance to go there. sacrifice my personal money,time and humble myself to live there and bring it up to where others would want to live there. why do people do such things to others. we are all gods children and should hold each other up. there are songs written everyday and fundraisers thrown that i am sure my landlord attends in the name of helping others. i think it is more of a tax right off than a ministry. would love to hear your comments

Ramette

Hi Lori--

It sounds from your posts that you are drawn to doing this kind of work. And I think you should find a way to help low income single mothers. Your ministry as you put it. You obviously have a lot of energy to give to a cause, and I think you would be really good at it.

Just keep in mind your LL has a different calling that he may be fulfilling in ways you don't understand. It's between him and God.

Alaska landlord

Your LL knows that there's such a thing as “unlawful enrichment “ and that you can sue him for all the repairs you would have paid for out of your own pocket. He knows his place is a dump and doesn't care. I would bet that the rent charged reflects the fact that the property is in disrepair.

If you don't want to be perceived as Blanche in the movie “A Street Car Named Desire” with Vivian Leigh and Marlon Brando, I would suggest you quit being a nuisance and quit telling people what needs to be done. PITA tenants usually don't last very long even if they're of well intention.

Alaska landlord

i know the world talks alot about helping those less fortunate. here is a chance for someone to walk the walk and not just invest in something for self gain. it is not always about the money.
Excuse me, but it is about the money. LL's don't go into this business to help the poor and the unfortunate. We have a product that we market for a profit.

the reason why this complex draws on such a low standard tenant is that it is not fixed up enough to attract people that would want to live there with high standards. i see a chance to go there. sacrifice my personal money,time and humble myself to live there and bring it up to where others would want to live there.
Raising the standards as you call it will cause an increase in rent thereby making the complex unattainable to the poor unfortunate single moms you are reporting to be concerned about.

why do people do such things to others. we are all gods children and should hold each other up. there are songs written everyday and fundraisers thrown that i am sure my landlord attends in the name of helping others.
Would you prefer that his tenants live in a cardboard box? It is because he puts little effort in upkeep that the apts rent at a below market level and his tenants are therefore able to have a place to live. As long as he keeps minimum standards set by the county, his tenants enjoy a ceiling over their head.

Gail in Georgia

Your landlord believes you will not "fit in" because he is concerned that you will be a PITA tenant. I'm sure you can figure out what PITA means.

Which, unfortunately, you have already shown that you have a tendency to be. You've not even moved in yet and you've contacted the other tenants, the cleaning lady and the maintenance man.

It is not your business to do this. It is not your business to put up shelving for the other tenants in the storage shed. It is not your business to "assume" that other tenants will appreciate your efforts. It is quite likely they will not. It's also not your business to determine who should be attracted to this complex and to view this complex as some sort of haven for those in need. It's not your complex.

Focus on your own place (and check with the landlord before you go tackling the painting, lighting, closet building efforts) and stop worrying about upgrading a building that isn't your own.

Gail

Dandd

In my area, Habitat for Humanity is always looking for volunteers. Lori, maybe you could put some energy to something like that in your area. Plus, you might learn the ins and outs of being considered for one of their properties. Though I commend your effort, I think you are going about things the wrong way. Nobody likes a pushy neighbor.

lori green

love your neghbor

thank you again for all the responses. i like how this attracts people to talk to people. for the person who says it is all about the money. you must be a replublician. i am glad i dont feel like that. money and all things will pass. what difference will you leave for your children.

for the person in alsaka.thank you, your words were kind.
for the person that mentioned the apt would not be available for single moms, if the upkeep was done. i am doing the repairs out of my own pockent and have agreed to sign anything he writes up. i want to help, i dont care if he does. i dont want the rent to go up for anyone. why is it that if you have so much, you forget about those who dont. i dont ever want to have so much that i forget. that is why i give what i have and will live in the community with the people who dont, and will share what i have and volunteer my time and money to make the difference i want to see in the world. i dont know why i have come into this situation. everything happens for a reason. i dont question god, karma, whatever you want to call it. i just know that whether i live there or not i feel called to open this wound that i see in our world. i would love to hear from you.
peace

Alaska landlord

thank you again for all the responses. i like how this attracts people to talk to people. for the person who says it is all about the money. you must be a replublician. i am glad i dont feel like that. money and all things will pass. what difference will you leave for your children.
I prefer to think of myself as a conservative. It is conservative principles that encourage people to work for a living, promote family values and encourage self reliance. In contrast, Democrats and Liberals encourage people not to work, but rely on government handouts (at the expense of hard working Americans) instead of the belief that they can prosper in the greatest country on this earth. I notice you spelled “God” as “god” So typical of the left. After all, your only true God is the federal government. We LL's do not owe you anything but what we bargain for. We offer a clean, safe apartment for a monthly price. It is not a ministry nor a calling to provide shelter for the less privileged. I fail to understand why so many tenants expect landlords to act in selfless behavior when they don't require the same of other businesses.

BTW,

what do I leave to my children? The belief that through hard work and the will to succeed there is very little you cannot accomplish. I have instilled in them that their future is their responsibility. Not to rely on government, sitting passively awaiting for a check while their potential is wasted on hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">