• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

low balled by adjuster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? ohio
the other driver was cited and damage estimate for 93 nissian sentra was 3000. the adjuster stated the car at a total loss of 1500 and i must give him my car and title....the only damage is a bashed in rear door... i want comensated for the damage and keep my car-----he told me that was a state law when car was totaled out--------------kelly blue book retails it at 2750 and wholesales it at 1500---what options do i have if any----THANKS IN ADVANCE


Senior Member
The adjuster is correct in that they can total the car if the repairs exceed the value. Look in your local newspaper and car trader magazines for similar vehicles. You can also get a local car dealer to give you an estimate of the retail value of the car prior to the accident.

Present your evidence to the adjuster and try to reach a fair settlement. Otherwise your best alternative is to sue the other driver in small claims court. You will need to call the magistrate and check the limits in your state.


Senior Member
Actually, there are several issues you should consider.

1) The insurance company is supposed to make you 'whole', back to your condition immediately prior to the accident. In the case of your vehicle being totaled, they are supposed to offer you 'fair market value' (what it would cost you to get a comparable car). This does NOT mean wholesale or even 'trade-in' price. It means the full retail plus any applicable sales tax..... simply, what you would have to spend to get 'whole'.

2) Also, if the damage is as simple as you state (replacing the door), you might consider negotiating a 'buy-back' from them. Most insurance companies will sell the (now their) vehicle at salvage price. This could be just a few hundred dollars. You might just buy it back and fix it yourself with the money they give you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential