• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

low income and garnished

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kuatrel

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My paychecks have been getting garnished off and on for about a year for debts as far back as 1996. Because of this I can't seem to catch up on any bills and am barely paying rent. I received Emergency Assistance to help pay my rent in June. I was told that any type of Economic Assistance can put your garnishment on "hold". But for how long? I've been getting the run around from the Company garnishing (they've been "investigating" my paperwork) for about a month now and won't return my phone calls. I have faxed them the necessary paperwork twice. I have spoken to a lawyer about Bankruptcy and have begun working a second job to pay for it.
Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to stop the garnishments until I can afford the Bankruptcy?

Thank You

Ladynred

Is your income at least 30x the Federal Minimum Wage ?? If not, then they should not be garnishing your wages at all !

You need to appeal this garnishment THRU THE COURT, NOT with the judgment creditor. Only the Court can get your garnishment lowered or stopped if you ARE below the wage levels for garnishment.

Kuatrel

I'm not sure. I think that I do. I make 15.39/hour plus I have 2 children and pay $200 a month for DayCare, $750 a month for rent, $260 a month for car.
When the garnishment and taxes are done my take home is $745 (my rent is more than that). Does it sound like I could go to the courts? :mad: :eek:

Ladynred

Yes, you're way above the Federal minimum. However, that doesn't mean you can't appeal the garnishment amount thru the courts. You may be able to ask to pay the judgment in installments (called 'slow pay' here in TN) in lieu of wage garnishment. I'd call the court clerk and find out if that option is available in MN. If you can show that the garnishment is causing you a hardship, you may be able to get the amount reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">