• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

low income housing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sparks2day

The state involved is TN. My parents have a house they are renting out to my brother. Unfortunately he has a lot of health problems and frequently cannot pay rent. As a result, my parents are losing out on a source of income in their retirement years. Is there a potential tax credit here for the parents? Is there an existing government program that would pay rent to the parents for providing housing to a low income individual even if he is their son? Thanks for your response.

Steve

L

loku

Rental to son.

They may end up with a tax loss on their rental property, but in general, they could not use that loss except against other rentals in the same year or in future years.

So I can think of no tax advantage here. However, if your brother qualifies as unable to work, he might qualify for social security disability benefits or for some state disability program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">