• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lowe's caused water damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jabbi

Hi. I'm new.

I got a countertop install from Lowe's back in March. The entire process was horrific and we fought them for a partial refund for several months (I can definitely provide more details of this if necessary).

Now we discovered the plumber they sent to put in the sink didn't do the plumbing right and caused MASSIVE water damage. I have water damage all the way down to my basement. I have several ruined cupboards, ruined floors, ruined subfloors, basement damage, and mold. I had to call someone for a house call this morning to fix it completely at my expense.

I've already filed a property damage claim with Lowe's. My question is; should I call a lawyer? They want to get an assessment, I also want to have someone come out (at my expense, for me) to assess the damage to make sure they match. Since Lowe's caused this (I am not a plumber! I had no idea it was leaking until I saw the damage in my cupboards, by then it was too late) I want them to fix it. This is going to be a big, expensive job. I want to know that I have a dog in this fight and I'm not being completely unrealistic.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

You have homeowner's insurance.

Have your insurance company take care of it.

Then the experts at your insurance company will go after whoever is responsible.

Why on earth would you want the hassle and expense when you pay insurance premiums to take care of all that?

FlyingRon

Lowe's has no plumbers. They refer you to contractors, but the contract was between you and the contractor. AJ gave the best answer, but if you chose to sue someone it will be the plumbing contractor not Lowe's.

Jabbi

Lowe's has no plumbers. They refer you to contractors, but the contract was between you and the contractor. AJ gave the best answer, but if you chose to sue someone it will be the plumbing contractor not Lowe's.
Actually this is not correct. The contract was between Lowe's and the plumber. They did not refer me to anyone, they took care of it all and just sent installers/contractors to my house. I have a copy of my purchase agreement that says all of this.

As far as my homeowners insurance goes, when I contacted them they told me the best course of action was to contact Lowe's because they are responsible for it.

FlyingRon

Then deal with Lowe's. Start with demanding to talk to the store manager. Lowe's gives a lot of discretion for resolving things to the individual store managers. If you complain to corporate, they're just going to bounce the issue back to the individual store manager anyhow. If not, then sue Lowe's, if they are the one you paid.

adjusterjack

Actually this is not correct. The contract was between Lowe's and the plumber. They did not refer me to anyone, they took care of it all and just sent installers/contractors to my house. I have a copy of my purchase agreement that says all of this.
That's right. Lowes would be responsible for the acts of the contractor it hired to do the work. However, the contractor would have primary responsible for his negligence. You go after both.

As far as my homeowners insurance goes, when I contacted them they told me the best course of action was to contact Lowe's because they are responsible for it.
Who is "them"? Your agent or did you actually call the insurance company and talk to a claim rep?

Regardless, now that you know what a run-around you are going to get, I suggest you call the toll free claims phone number on your policy, have a claim opened, get a claim number and get an adjuster out to assess the damage. While that is happening you can continue dealing with Lowes but don't count on any results there any time soon.

Jabbi

That's right. Lowes would be responsible for the acts of the contractor it hired to do the work. However, the contractor would have primary responsible for his negligence. You go after both.

Who is "them"? Your agent or did you actually call the insurance company and talk to a claim rep?

Regardless, now that you know what a run-around you are going to get, I suggest you call the toll free claims phone number on your policy, have a claim opened, get a claim number and get an adjuster out to assess the damage. While that is happening you can continue dealing with Lowes but don't count on any results there any time soon.
I spoke to a claims rep who suggested I take it up with Lowe's.

adjusterjack

I spoke to a claims rep who suggested I take it up with Lowe's.
I think his/her department manager might have something to say about him/her turning you away from filing the claim.

Call up and file it now. Your insurance company is contractually obligated to handle it for you.

FlyingRon

I think his/her department manager might have something to say about him/her turning you away from filing the claim.

Call up and file it now. Your insurance company is contractually obligated to handle it for you.
Not department manager. Go to the store manager (there is ONE and he may not always be there). They are the one that are empowered to fix customer complaints. I've had them just hand me merchandise to get me to go away happy.

adjusterjack

FlyingRon, I was referring to the insurance company's claims manager with regard to an adjuster who discourages a policyholder from filing a claim.

Ashmoore628

Hi. I'm new.

I got a countertop install from Lowe's back in March. The entire process was horrific and we fought them for a partial refund for several months (I can definitely provide more details of this if necessary).

Now we discovered the plumber they sent to put in the sink didn't do the plumbing right and caused MASSIVE water damage. I have water damage all the way down to my basement. I have several ruined cupboards, ruined floors, ruined subfloors, basement damage, and mold. I had to call someone for a house call this morning to fix it completely at my expense.

I've already filed a property damage claim with Lowe's. My question is; should I call a lawyer? They want to get an assessment, I also want to have someone come out (at my expense, for me) to assess the damage to make sure they match. Since Lowe's caused this (I am not a plumber! I had no idea it was leaking until I saw the damage in my cupboards, by then it was too late) I want them to fix it. This is going to be a big, expensive job. I want to know that I have a dog in this fight and I'm not being completely unrealistic.
Jabbi this just happened to us they have sent a adjuster out but I was wondering your outcome. They made us get a contractor but now I’m not sure I want to use that specific one. Did they send you an insurance check or did they pay your specific contractor out right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">