• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LVNV collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

headunderwater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

Some background:

My mother and father separated in '08 after a messy bankruptcy and got formally divorced in '12. Both of my parents are immigrants, my mother is now a US citizen and my father was on his greencard. He is now illegal. During their marriage, my father bought a ton of things under a bunch of credit cards, all on my mother's name, fell behind on payments (including car/house payments, but both of those assets were seized). After my parents divorced, my mother thought all of our debts were gone. She worked hard for 6 years supporting me and my sister and now she has a decent credit score. It turns out that the bankruptcy case was dismissed because of some mistakes my father made and that most of the charges have not disappeared. However, it has been 6 (!!!) years since we have heard anything from any of the banks or collectors.

In Octobor 2013, she got sent something in the mail from LVNV stating she owed some money (<1000$) and she promptly sent in an identity theft/fraud affidavit and the thing got dropped. In June 2014, she got sent another letter in the mail claiming she owes 4400$ (3400$ + interest) and that they were going to garnish her paycheck. We obviously cannot afford this, so we called them and told them the fraud situation and they said they would send us something in the mail. This was on July 8th. Since that time, they have sent something to the bank trying to claim all the money she has sent in on a CD (to rebuild her credit) and they have sent another garnishment letter. We have called multiple times asking for the fraud paperwork and every time the person in charge of our case simply says that it's not his department and he doesn't know when the letter will be sent because they are very busy. What can we do about this?

Should we just settle? What would be a fair price to settle? Is there any way to hold my father accountable for any of this?

We currently live in a small apartment and my mom has two cars (one for my mom and one for my sister, who commutes to school), total value of around 33000$ (gifts from my uncles who are pretty well off and have been helping us stay afloat). Should she file for bankruptcy? What kind? The worry is that now that these collections are coming in, more will be on the way.

Thank you very much,

headunderwater

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

Some background:

My mother and father separated in '08 after a messy bankruptcy and got formally divorced in '12. Both of my parents are immigrants, my mother is now a US citizen and my father was on his greencard. He is now illegal. During their marriage, my father bought a ton of things under a bunch of credit cards, all on my mother's name, fell behind on payments (including car/house payments, but both of those assets were seized). After my parents divorced, my mother thought all of our debts were gone. She worked hard for 6 years supporting me and my sister and now she has a decent credit score. It turns out that the bankruptcy case was dismissed because of some mistakes my father made and that most of the charges have not disappeared. However, it has been 6 (!!!) years since we have heard anything from any of the banks or collectors.

In Octobor 2013, she got sent something in the mail from LVNV stating she owed some money (<1000$) and she promptly sent in an identity theft/fraud affidavit and the thing got dropped. In June 2014, she got sent another letter in the mail claiming she owes 4400$ (3400$ + interest) and that they were going to garnish her paycheck. We obviously cannot afford this, so we called them and told them the fraud situation and they said they would send us something in the mail. This was on July 8th. Since that time, they have sent something to the bank trying to claim all the money she has sent in on a CD (to rebuild her credit) and they have sent another garnishment letter. We have called multiple times asking for the fraud paperwork and every time the person in charge of our case simply says that it's not his department and he doesn't know when the letter will be sent because they are very busy. What can we do about this?

Should we just settle? What would be a fair price to settle? Is there any way to hold my father accountable for any of this?

We currently live in a small apartment and my mom has two cars (one for my mom and one for my sister, who commutes to school), total value of around 33000$ (gifts from my uncles who are pretty well off and have been helping us stay afloat). Should she file for bankruptcy? What kind? The worry is that now that these collections are coming in, more will be on the way.

Thank you very much,

headunderwater
It's beyond unhealthy for you to be so involved in your parents' divorce and financial matters. Tell your mother to make some new friends.

headunderwater

I don't understand - how does "fraud" come in to this?
My father made most of the purchases without my mom's knowledge and she didn't know about most of them until after they had gotten divorced. It was a very one-sided financial relationship.

And yeah, I know. But I'm really all my mom's got, no one else really cares enough to get these things in order. I'm about to head off to college and once I leave I know she won't be able to manage these things that well. She doesn't speak top notch English either. Any advice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yet she has known about them since (at worst) 2008 and (at best) 2012. She even acknowledged they were valid debts when she filed for bankruptcy protection. She can't turn around now and claim fraud...it doesn't work that way.

headunderwater

Yet she has known about them since (at worst) 2008 and (at best) 2012. She even acknowledged they were valid debts when she filed for bankruptcy protection. She can't turn around now and claim fraud...it doesn't work that way.
That's the thing; she had no idea about any of this as the my father put the forwarding address on all of these bills to his house. They somehow tracked my mom's work down and that's the only reason she found out about this. And the fraud claim worked once already, but the LVNV caseworker I think took pity on my mother. I doubt we'll be so lucky this time.

So what do you suggest we do?

TigerD

...And the fraud claim worked once already, but the LVNV caseworker I think took pity on my mother. ...
Don't make this mistake. Collectors are not caseworkers. They do not care about you or your story at all. A collector that get suckered by a sob story is not long for the business.

Your Mom need to gather all of her paperwork and pay a visit to a lawyer. She needs to determine what she is liable for, what she isn't liable for, the status of her previous bankruptcy filing, and if is eligible to file again. Then she needs to decide if filing is the right course of action.

DC

headunderwater

Don't make this mistake. Collectors are not caseworkers. They do not care about you or your story at all. A collector that get suckered by a sob story is not long for the business.

Your Mom need to gather all of her paperwork and pay a visit to a lawyer. She needs to determine what she is liable for, what she isn't liable for, the status of her previous bankruptcy filing, and if is eligible to file again. Then she needs to decide if filing is the right course of action.

DC
I met with a lawyer a couple of weeks ago. She said she was shocked that they would come after us for these debts after such a long time. She said that perhaps bankruptcy wasn't the wisest option because they would pull both of my moms cars and this debt is only about 4500$. However, she was concerned that if this debt has resurfaced, others may be soon to follow. She pulled up the docket and showed us a bunch of debts that are still there but haven't been touched in years. She basically advised us to think about whether or not the risk was worth it to us. I'm at a loss, I've never dealt with anything of this magnitude before. I don't want to screw up my mom's finances more than they already have been.

If this were you, what would you do?

LdiJ

I met with a lawyer a couple of weeks ago. She said she was shocked that they would come after us for these debts after such a long time. She said that perhaps bankruptcy wasn't the wisest option because they would pull both of my moms cars and this debt is only about 4500$. However, she was concerned that if this debt has resurfaced, others may be soon to follow. She pulled up the docket and showed us a bunch of debts that are still there but haven't been touched in years. She basically advised us to think about whether or not the risk was worth it to us. I'm at a loss, I've never dealt with anything of this magnitude before. I don't want to screw up my mom's finances more than they already have been.

If this were you, what would you do?
Well, the first thing I would do is have mom pull her credit reports from all three agencies to see what is showing on her credit record...which may or may not have been what the attorney did. I am unsure what you mean by "docket". A docket tends to indicate that lawsuits have been filed. Once your mom knows the sum total of debts that are showing under her name, she can make the decision as to whether its better to pay the debts, or whether its better to file bankruptcy.

Also, your father may not be illegal. Green cards do not automatically get cancelled due to divorce. I don't think that there is any possibility that your parent's marriage could not be considered a true marriage since they have older children and therefore its unlikely that your father needed to stay married to your mother in order to keep his legal residency.

headunderwater

Well, the first thing I would do is have mom pull her credit reports from all three agencies to see what is showing on her credit record...which may or may not have been what the attorney did. I am unsure what you mean by "docket". A docket tends to indicate that lawsuits have been filed. Once your mom knows the sum total of debts that are showing under her name, she can make the decision as to whether its better to pay the debts, or whether its better to file bankruptcy.

Also, your father may not be illegal. Green cards do not automatically get cancelled due to divorce. I don't think that there is any possibility that your parent's marriage could not be considered a true marriage since they have older children and therefore its unlikely that your father needed to stay married to your mother in order to keep his legal residency.
There was nothing on the credit reports, not even these debts we've been hearing about lately.

LdiJ

There was nothing on the credit reports, not even these debts we've been hearing about lately.
Seriously? Nothing on her credit reports?...not even the debts that she is being dunned for now? That is so bizarre as to be almost impossible. She needs to pull credit reports now...ones from the past are not necessarily relevant.

Zigner

Seriously? Nothing on her credit reports?...not even the debts that she is being dunned for now? That is so bizarre as to be almost impossible. She needs to pull credit reports now...ones from the past are not necessarily relevant.
Why is it so bizarre? The debts are likely past the reporting limit for the credit reports. Remember, they happened "during the marriage" which means they were incurred prior to the '08 separation.

LdiJ

Why is it so bizarre? The debts are likely past the reporting limit for the credit reports. Remember, they happened "during the marriage" which means they were incurred prior to the '08 separation.
Then unless the creditors got judgments, they should also be past the statute of limitations. Georgia's statute of limitations is 6 years.

Zigner

Then unless the creditors got judgments, they should also be past the statute of limitations. Georgia's statute of limitations is 6 years.
It was likely tolled by the bankruptcy proceedings.

ETA: Per the OP, they served a levy on her bank. They have a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">