• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Michigan

My daughter is 17 and on probation for a minor with possesion of alcohol offense. Since this began when she was 16, its handled through juvenile court. They want to put her in foster care because she has not been able to improve her grades at school or done enough community service. She also got married recently. Does marriage change the status of her case in any way?


Junior Member
which court?

The state is Michigan

What I'm asking is whether her husband is now her gardian? Is she considered emancipated? Does her case stay in juvenile court or would it be moved to district court with her being under adult probation?
Last edited:


Senior Member
You need to give more answers before we can give any advice.

Who gave permission for your daughter to marry?

Is there child support involved, was that terminated upon her marriage?

Did she file emancipation?

Is her PO aware she married?

Is she in school?

Being married doesn't erase the mip.

How old is her husband and how long have they been having sex?

HOw do you see allowing her to get married as helping with her addiction problems?

Is she in AA or treatment?


Act 293 of 1968

AN ACT to establish the status of minors; to define the rights and duties of parents; to establish rights and duties to provide support for a child after the child reaches the age of majority under certain circumstances; and to establish the conditions for emancipation of minors.

History: 1968, Act 293, Eff. Nov. 15, 1968 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 238, Imd. Eff. Oct. 10, 1990
Popular Name: Emancipation of Minors Act

© 2004 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

The People of the State of Michigan enact:

Document Type Description
Section 722.1 Section Definitions.
Section 722.2 Section Unemancipated minors; parental rights.
Section 722.3 Section Obligation of parents; exceptions; enforcement of duty to support; child support formula as guideline; enforcement of judgment.
Section 722.3a Section Repealed. 2001, Act 110, Eff. Sept. 30, 2001.
Section 722.4 Section Emancipation by operation of law or pursuant to petition filed by minor with family division of circuit court.
Section 722.4a Section Petition; filing; signature; verification; contents; affidavit; service on parents or guardian; notice of hearing.
Section 722.4b Section Powers of court.
Section 722.4c Section Hearing; issuance of emancipation order; burden of proof; retaining copy of order; emancipation obtained by fraud voidable; appeal.
Section 722.4d Section Petition for rescission; service of copy and summons; determinations; order; effect of rescission on obligations, rights, or interests; appeal.
Section 722.4e Section Rights and responsibilities of emancipated minor; obligation and liability of parents.
Section 722.5 Section Earnings of unemancipated minor.
Section 722.6 Section Obligation to support not affected.


Junior Member
married with mip


I am her parent and I gave her permission to marry although I was hoping for an extended engagement. her husband is 23, and yes they have been having sex for a few months. She has attend some substance abuse classes which have been beneficial. She is still in high school. She may be moving to another county with the grooms parents. Would this transfer her case? Child support is not an issue...her father is incarcerated.


Junior Member
married juvenile.


No, she has not filed for emancipation, she thinks that marriage emancipates her automatically. her po does know that they obtained a license. I gave her permission, although I thought there would be a lengthy engagement. She is still in school, and she has taken some substance abuse classes which have been beneficial. She may be moving in with grooms parents in another county, would her case be transferred? Child support is not an issue...her father is incarcerated.


Senior Member
The PO needs to know she is married. Do you really think it was a good idea for them to get married? This 23 yo isn't able to support her if they are planning to move in with his parents. She needs a structured drug and alcohol abuse program and for her to attend AA meetings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential