• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OregonIn marion county, I was seeing a friend I hadn't seen in three months because a member of his family had passed. I went to his house and had ONE drink. The police came and gave me an MIP for alcohol, even though they didn't give me a test or anything. I am almost twenty one, I turn twenty one in a few weeks. I am a straight A student, and don't have ANYTHING, not even a traffic ticket on my record. I am going to school to get my Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I am just curious about a few things. 1. The new law in Oregon is a suspension of license for at least three months for a first offense. How strict are they, and is there any way to pay money or take an alcohol class instead? 2. Is there any way afterwards to get it expunged? How would it take if possible? 3. Is this going to affect school/job/ etc? Does it look bad on an application? I'm trying to apply for scholarships!!!!4. The officer said it was "no worse than a traffic ticket" basically. I happen to think it IS!!!5. I don't want to have this on my record, even though it is my fault. I am willing to plead guilty, because I am, but would like it not to interfere with my education and my job/s. I am not sure what to think about it, what kind of things should I be worried about? Am I worried over nothing??? Please help me! Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

Senior Member
You had one drink at your friend's house. How did the police know?

You're 20 years old, and you'll be treated as an underage offender even if you go to trial six months from now.

There's no way for people who don't live in Oregon and haven't had any experience in court as first time, underage offenders to know how tough the judge will be on you. I'd see a lawyer and be prepared to bring some character witnesses to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential