• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA laws on knife blade lengths

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doug02346

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I run through a trail that goes through woods. I often hear coyotes and am worried about them someday attacking me. I can't carry a pistol because 35 years ago I was convicted of a felony. So I would like to carry a knife; either fixed or folding.

I can't seem to get a straight answer from the local police department, but I understand that I can only carry a 2" length folding. I am worried that might not be effective in a pinch. Would someone please tell me what permits I need to get to carry one that would be of substantial length and would also allow quick access in an emergency.

Thanks.

Mass_Shyster

My understanding is that Mass does not regulate normal folding knives. They prohibit spring loaded and double edge knives.

I know Worcester has a ban on knives over 2 1/2". You need to check your local ordinances to see if your city or town has a specific ban.

OHRoadwarrior

I am still finding reference to it being legal to carry animal repellant pepper spray, I have been unable to find the laws defining the difference. I have found senate bills to amend the statute allowing it.

Last edited:

xylene

I just want to point out how comical the idea of planning on fending off coyotes with a folding knife is back on planet earth.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Try running in a different place. That's the easiest solution. Or run during daylight and not at night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">