• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mail order screwup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wesley

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

This problem that I have is probably typical since it seems common. I order something from a company and they sent it but the item was returned to them for some reason that I don't know. I wrote to them(and e-mailed them) to send my money back since I had bought the items elswhere because I hadn't recieved them. They sent me a credit slip instead of my money back. I then sent them a letter stating that I don't want credit but want my money back. Its been a long time and I havn't heard anything from them. I think that they are legally bound to return my money. Am I right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

This problem that I have is probably typical since it seems common. I order something from a company and they sent it but the item was returned to them for some reason that I don't know. I wrote to them(and e-mailed them) to send my money back since I had bought the items elswhere because I hadn't recieved them. They sent me a credit slip instead of my money back. I then sent them a letter stating that I don't want credit but want my money back. Its been a long time and I havn't heard anything from them. I think that they are legally bound to return my money. Am I right?
What are their policies? That will answer your question (ie: they don't HAVE to refund money)

BoredAtty

I understood very little about your post, except that you want your money back after buying something. Unless the terms of the sale allow for a money back return, the business has no legal obligation to do so.

In general, businesses such as Macy's or Best Buy offer money back returns as a way to entice buyers to shop at their stores, and not for legal reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">