• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Returned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I have been divorced for two years and have Joint Legal Custody with my Ex-Husband. The way I communicate with him is to send him notes in the mail with the information for our childrens upcoming events from doctor appointments to hockey schedules. I schedule all the appointments and register the children for all the activities because he claims he has no money and is too busy. What has come up recently is that his Girlfriend has decided to tell my children that she is going to start writing declined on the mail I send to him and return to sender. Can she legally do that? If I try to call him and talk to him about the children he will return my calls and if I get lucky and get him he is always short with me and too busy to talk. What can I do and can she decline my mail? What legal action can i take to try and communicate with him? What you should also know is that his girlfriend is evil and whatever you say to her she twists and will try to use it against you.

Help in MN I need to be able to communicate with him and not sure what to do?


Senior Member
My response:

Assuming that your letter communications have only dealt with the childrens' issues, and nothing else, then you can file an "Order to Show Cause Re: Interference" against him for allowing his new wife to intercept and return the mail.

Of course, keep the returned mail, unopened, and make sure that her handwriting is on the envelopes so you can prove your allegations.

This is typical of a possessive, jealous, stepparent/new spouse. But, what she doesn't realize by her actions is that she's causing herself, and him, big time problems. It's best that you nip this in the bud ASAP.



What about sending your info Certified Return Receipt RESTRICTED Delivery? Sure, it's going to cost a few dollars, but this way, your ex is the only person that can sign for it. The girlfriend can't do a thing. She won't be allowed to sign for it or refuse it. Just an idea....

And of course, you should follow IAAL's (oh-wise-one) advice...

Damn those meddling, possessive, jealouse step-parents (to-be)!
Right, IAAL?



Senior Member
Oh poo, another step response ...oh dern, gosh, not having custody of juvi delinquents is more then just a killer.. Former step here, that’s right, mine are traveling in Bolivia or some other 3rd world country right now. HA. I say, send it all ways and make sure it is ALL listed at the bottom of the letters. Example:

Enclosures: 2 (example)

Mailed: First Class
Priority w/Delivery Conf. # XXXXXXXXX
Cert. Mail # XXXXX
Restricted Delivery #XXXXX

Of course this means someone will have to pick up the forms required BEFORE the mail is sent. It appears a pattern needs to be established with the proper documentation.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential