• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Tampering and Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California...
On Friday April 19th a guest (will refer to as AL) that was staying with my family awaiting her new place to be ready, ended up leaving to her new home. AL believed that a package had come up missing from the mailbox and called law enforcement. Our home has cameras and we were able to show LEO that a package was not placed in the mailbox and that AL was the only one to remove mail from the box that day. AL informed LEO that she was moving out at the at time. We informed her that if any package came for her, we would let her know and advised her to submit a change of address. AL agreed and left at the same time as LEO.
On Monday April 22nd, the package in question arrived, just as we were heading out for a family emergency. We live 9 miles from town and 11 miles from ALs new residence. We informed AL that the package came and that we had to leave for an emergency and that we wouldn't be returning until the following day, and offered to meet her in town at a local spot convenient for both parties. We did not hear from her until the following morning when she requested to have a friend bring it to her. We explained that the package was still in our vehicle as we had attempted to meet with her on our way out of town. 10 hours later, we are on our way back home, and once again tried to reach her to attempt once more to give her the package. Did not hear from her again until this morning.
This morning, I received a text from AL stating that mail tampering is a felony, and that she has made arrangements with a friend to deliver her mail to her. AL also stated that she had specific instructions in how to deal with her mail, yet didn't advise us of them. It was our understanding that she would be submitting a change of address and we were being kind in attempt to get her the package. AL then sent a text stating that any further attempt to contact her would be considered harrassment.

My question is....Would that be considered mail tampering? We have a locked mailbox so she wouldn't be able to retrieve the package from the box, and honestly we are not comfortable with her retrieving mail from our box since she no longer is a guest in our home. Also, if I am only texting her in attempt to set a time and place to get her package to her, without any harsh words, or threats, is that considered harrassment? Can I simply just return the package to the sender since she has made it clear she doesn't want us touching her mail or contacting her. Her friend has made no attempt in contacting us either.

Just Blue

You can return the package to the post office/sender as undeliverable/change of address.

I see no harassment or mail tampering on your part.

AL sounds to be an unpleasant character. It is nice for you that she moved.
Perhaps Al has deep rooted anger because her parents named her after a truck driver.:geek:

LdiJ

You can return it to the post office. It shouldn't be a problem. Mark it: Return to sender. Address unknown.
I would give it a day or two before you do that, on the offset that her friend does show up to pick it up. It will ratchet up the hostilities if you return it to sender and the friend shows up right after you did that.

quincy

I would give it a day or two before you do that, on the offset that her friend does show up to pick it up. It will ratchet up the hostilities if you return it to sender and the friend shows up right after you did that.
The friend is already not being friendly, by calling the police, speaking of mail tampering, and claiming harassment.

I would give the package to the post office and be done with it.

Dandy Don

Do you have a way of contacting the company who sent the package to let them know that you have returned the package to the post office, so that the company can know the current status of the package and perhaps the COMPANY can also contact A. L.?

It does seem as if returning the package to the post office is the best option.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Al has already indicated that any further communications with OP will considered "harassment". It is therefore not possible to coordinate an exchange time and place.

It is unknown whether OP would know/recognize Al's friend.

Al left no forwarding address with OP.

Returning the package to the sender seems to be the best option, if possible.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Do you have a way of contacting the company who sent the package to let them know that you have returned the package to the post office, so that the company can know the current status of the package and perhaps the COMPANY can also contact A. L.?

It does seem as if returning the package to the post office is the best option.
It a personal package. I don't want to just hand over mail to some random person knocking at my door.

quincy

It a personal package. I don't want to just hand over mail to some random person knocking at my door.
Take it to the post office. You can say the intended recipient moved and left no forwarding address. The post office will handle it - but it might be smart for you to get a receipt from the post office in case AL decides to claim you stole the package.

This really should not be your problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">